Rider 2 Mount RMA'd today

TomTom Model(s)
Rider V2, OneLE, XXL540TM
Well, after 2500+ glorious miles of riding with the Rider 2, the mount finally failed. It's not charging the unit when docked on the bike. I was about 6 weeks within my warranty and they are now sending me a new mount.

I can't get it apart (yet, I want a replacement first), but I did trace the problem back to the mount itself. It's not getting power though it to the unit.

Took about 30 minutes to get a new one shipped to me today. Not too bad for a Friday morning!!!

I did have to "mount it directly to the battery" to prove to them that the problem wasn't my add-a-fuse connection, nor either of the power cables. I just got an old(er) battery holding 11.13 volts wired my extra power cable directly to it and got 11.12-.13 volts out the other end.

RMA issued and should ship soon...

I'm going to have to just assume that I will need to buy a new mount each year? Some may say "design flaw" and I agree, but the thing takes a beating on the bike, so I'll just rate it as a "wear part" like tires and brakes and replace it when it needs...

If you've seen intermittent charging, you may want to see if you're in warranty.

So far so good. I have used my Rider2 for over 30,000km this summer. Lots of rough roads up here, and never any trouble. Will keep my fingers crossed as my warranty will expire in December.

I do keep the contacts coated with a light layer of dielectric grease.

Cheers!

So far so good. I have used my Rider2 for over 30,000km this summer. Lots of rough roads up here, and never any trouble. Will keep my fingers crossed as my warranty will expire in December.

I do keep the contacts coated with a light layer of dielectric grease.

Cheers!

Well it's good to know it'll go longer... I'm not sure what happened. It worked great the last trip. I think it's internal, but I won't know until I receive a working mount.

I was doing some "backroad" riding (not normally done on a BMW Sport-Tourer) and I'd lent ti to a friend to go to Sturgis, but he said it wouldn't work for him at all. My guess is I knocked a wire pretty good or did something to fry the circuitry, we'll see.

That said, I'm ultra pleased with the Rider 2. I was riding with a friend from Cincinnati, Oh the other night and we were trying to get from one side of town to the other without utilizing the highway. He was amazed at the way it guided us (through the hood, but nonetheless) directly through roads I'd never been on and to our destination... Did I mention I was leading and had never been in the city before?

I received the new mount today... All is fine in my world now...

I opened the old mount up. Basically had to break it apart to do it. The pins holding the lower part of the mount are about 1/2 inch long and pressed in from the sides.

The content, after unscrewing the housing with a "secure" star bit is a circuit board, so I'm done... I know little about the circuitry even though I spent 4 years working for a circuit board house (building the boards themselves, never anything to do with components)

I can get pictures to anyone interested in the "guts"

Thom

Here are some pictures. This is the first time I've used photobucket, so I hope it works. There should be 4 pictures.

Last edited:
If you have time I would like to see what the inside looks like, we have a R2 and are going to BBQ first thing in the A.M.

My Bracket is failing me as we speak I extented the thickness of the toungs by a piece of Elec Tape on each ear that seemed to fix it for now but I need to get some time at work to call them. If you think your charger is working give this a try and then let me know.

under battery saving preferences chose power off during powerdisconect. Watch it while you are riding and I bet you will see if turning on/off more then you think.

Pat

Managed to contact TT lastnight boy eiter I had a bad experince the very first time I called them back in December for somthing else was on hold for ever + but last night I got threw in about 1 min finished the complete call in about 25 min's with a new charging mount on the way :) Very nice service.

Makes me wonder if Thom had all these tests to do on his charger & RMA just said they would send one out to me makes me kind of wonder if they see a flaw? just a thought.

GT

Makes me wonder if Thom had all these tests to do on his charger & RMA just said they would send one out to me makes me kind of wonder if they see a flaw? just a thought.

GT

Should I change my Opus avatar to a Guinea Pig? :D

Mounts

Hi Everyone! WOW, am so glad to find this forum!
How - where can I get another mount?? I have 2 bikes and want the setup on both. I don't want be taking off the dock from 1 to another.

Welcome to the forum, and specifically the section for Rider and Rider2.

I might suggest you place your model and your location into your signature.

Depending on what you need, just order it from TT. Although if it was me, I would just get a wire harness and another Ram Mount post. Its a snap to just unscrew the wingnut and unplug the connector and move the whole thing over to your other bike.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Well got my new mount about the same time the snow started flying :-( . Oh well it is supposed to get to 60 on Monday if it rains today and stops tomorrow we just might go for a spin, can't say I will need the Rider but hey you never know:D

Ask a Question