recent destinations

TomTom Model(s)
tomtom500
Hi All. Recently I was given an older model tomtom Go 500, can anyone explain
If I can delete recent destinations? and if so how? secondly will I be able to download
recent maps? again, if so how? I have no manual
cheers thom1943 :thumb:

Recent destinations....

On most models now, when you go to the recent destinations list, there is a button at the bottom to delete them. But I seem to remember that was added after customer suggestions, so it might not be there on your old model.

The other way to delete them is to delete the file called MapSettings.cfg which you will find inside the folder for your map (the folder will be called something like "Great_Britain and Ireland", "Australia" or "North America" depending on your particular maps.
You will also lose your "Home" location and any POI warnings you had set up, so you'll have to re-do those.

You can do the above by using Windows Explorer.If you need help on how to achieve that, just ask.

EDIT : I should have reminded you to make a full BACKUP first. This is really important, and can save a LOT of problems later on, so do it before you do anything else.
See here for details:
How to backup the contents of your unit to the computer

-------------------------------------------

Updating maps and software...

First thing to do is find out what software and maps you are running at the moment and post your results here.

Here's a link to an article on how to do that:
How to find the version numbers of your maps and software

To add new maps and to update software you need to use TomTom "Home", which you can download from here.

You MUST update the software first, before you try to buy a new map.

To do that, normally you would use "Home 2" (download using the Blue buttons on that webpage, the left-hand one for Windows, right-hand one for Mac), but if your software is VERY old, you may need to start off by using "Home" v1 which has a little download link underneath the main ones. You update the software as far as you can using Home 1 and then install Home 2 and carry on from there.

But take it a step t a time... tell us what software and maps you have now, and we can be a bit more specific about what to do next.

Last edited:
Go 500

Andy_P G,day Tried your suggestions, re downloading Home etc.
no luck, i have no licence No!
The info you need is
TomTom Go 500
app 5.440(5647/051206) OS:1008
Map Australia-Map v568
Thanks Thom1943

Andy_P G,day Tried your suggestions, re downloading Home etc. no luck, i have no licence No!

Not sure what you mean here....
Were you hoping to download a recent map for free?
Sorry it doesn't work like that. If you want a more recent map you need to buy it.
You won't need any previous licence number to buy a new map.

maps

No Mate I realize I will have to purchase a map,I,m not that daft,
think maybe It would be better to purchase a new GPS, thanks Thom1943.

I'm confused!
You said you had no luck and needed a Licence number....

Was that no luck downloading Home, or no luck buying a map?

A new regional map would still be a lot cheaper than a new GPS.

maaaaaaps

Adam. I have TomTom home on my puter ver 2.8, I click on buy maps and when downloading is up I get a no items found ???.
thanks for your help,I,v decided to buy a new GPS, I can get a Via220 for $A135
locally, thanks Thom1943

Ask a Question