How to delete some "recent destinations"?

Does anyone know how to delete selected items in the 'recent destinations' list?
Would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks.

Download the english version from here: http://www.poiedit.com/downloads.htm
In the install, tell it to open .cfg files.
Never mind, I can read and make changes to MapSettings.cfg, but it says it is currently unable to save .cfg files.
shoot, will have to wait for that feature. Hopefully there will be a firmware update that does what we are looking for.

Does anyone know how to delete selected items in the 'recent destinations' list?
Thanks.

If there's any entries in "Recent Destinations" that I might want to keep, I'd add them to my Favorites. Once you've done that, you can just delete all of the "Recent Destinations" with the delete button.

If you really must have the entries back in "Recent Destinations", you can just "Navigate to" each of them from your Favorites.

TomTom 5 Favourite Editor

I found a program that allows you to edit or delete favorites and recent destinations in my 3rd Edition (USA). This has worked for me!

- Download TomTom 5 Favourite Editor from http://www.tiasoft.de/TomTomFavouriteEditor.rar
and install on your pc.
- Connect the TomTom to computer with USB cable
- If you have made a backup of your entire TomTom to hard drive recently, just make a backup copy of "MapSettings.cfg" in the USA_Canada folder on the TomTom
- Run the TomTom 5 Favourite Editor application
- Click on "Datei" (File) menu, then "Datei laden" (File Open)
- Navigate to USA_Canada folder on TomTom device
- Open "MapSettings.cfg"

- "Favoriten" (Favorite)
- To rename or delete a Favorite, right click and select "Umbenennen" (Rename), or "Eintrag loschen" (Delete)

- "Letzte Ziele" (Recent Destination)
- To rename or delete a recent destination, right click and select
"Umbenennen" (Rename), or "Eintrag loschen" (Delete)

- To delete a history, select "Eingabe-Historie" and select "Eintrag loschen" (Delete)

- To save the configuration to the TomTom device, select "Datei" (File) and
"Datei speichern" (File store) on the menu
- Wait until all data has been written to the TomTom device
- On TomTom Home, select "Device" "Device Disconnect", then disconnect
USB cable and check Favorites and Recent Destinations. The deleted items should no longer show on the list.

I was able to open the MapSettings.cfg directly on my 3rd edition, edit the file, and write it back to the 3rd edition. I have powered the 3rd down several times and then rebooted it, and it works find and the deleted destinations and favorites do not return. It worked great for me on the 3rd edition...

I was able to open the MapSettings.cfg directly on my 3rd edition, edit the file, and write it back to the 3rd edition. I have powered the 3rd down several times and then rebooted it, and it works find and the deleted destinations and favorites do not return. It worked great for me on the 3rd edition...

For the terminally stupid among us, could you please elaborate step by step how to do this? Thanks!

I read that it doesn't work with NavCore 7 & 8. Which one is on your 3rd edition?

Also, you do not have to unplug your USB cable if you put noautosuspend.dat in your device root folder.

No Problem

Thanks.

Although you can not do it directly, you can do it another way and that is very convenient, too:

1. You can not do so much to your "Recent Destination", but you can manage your "Favorite" through "Options".

2. Touch "Options", then touch "Home and Favorite", and then touch "Add Favorite". This time you go to "Add as Favorite:" page. Now you can choose "Recent Destination" as the source. Add some of the recent destinations (the ones you want to keep) to your "Favorite", and then delete all the "Recent Destinations".

I had some addresses that I didn't want to be in my "Recent Destination", and I couldn't delete them directly on the GPS device, not through computer either.

So I added the ones I wanted to keep to my "Favorites", and then I deleted all the "Recent Destinations". So it was done that way.

Have a good day.

Welcome to TTF.

In total agreement with you. It's obvious that the Business analysts at TomTom who developed the Business Rules for the developers to follow didn't have the end user in mind when the coding for that (lack of) functionality got developed.

I wonder how many people have ever requested that feature though?

Unless you've been somewhere you want to hide from your wife or boss, I can't see any need for it.

And you shouldn't be hoping to retain any important destinations there anyway. Saving them as Favourites (or preferably as user-POIs) is much safer.

I wonder how many people have ever requested that feature though?
Probably a minority, but that's certainly not the first time I've seen it requested here.
Unless you've been somewhere you want to hide from your wife or boss, I can't see any need for it.
When first suggested, that was my first thought, too. But it can be handy if you find yourself needing to return somewhere -- and being able to nuke them individually would allow for getting rid of the clutter of places you really don't need listed (gas stations, etc.). Sometimes you know you'll likely return near term, but perhaps only once, making it not worthwhile to mess with a POI or Favorite.

Sometimes you know you'll likely return near term, but perhaps only once, making it not worthwhile to mess with a POI or Favorite.

I guess I just got into the habit of using Favourites for that early on. Anything I want to keep for longer goes in a POI category.

I very rarely use the Recent Destinations screen at all.

to be honest though, that's one of the things I've always liked about TomTom - there are usually several ways to achieve what you want.

well obviously some here have requested it so probably quite a few people would like it, the idea being (as suggesed above) that alot of clutter can develop there in a short time and its certainly easier and neater to be able to delete selected items to clean that clutter than add favorites and have to delete them later.

just as an example on a job you might need to get to a few new locations several times over a short period, not worth adding to faves, but multiple entries are needed. multiply this by several times and you get the idea. once done if i could just delete these thatd be nice instead of having to kill the whole list, which i may still need some locations, to get rid of them.

p.s. if someone was trying to hide where theyre going and its really that important, using your gps to get there is kinda dumb in the first place lol :)

Ask a Question