Ready to give up

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One XL
I have had a TomTom One XL for about 2 weeks, and I'm about ready to take it back! I really like it's potential, for instance, there are so many things you can do with it using Home to customize it's applications. But I'm very frustrated about making it work.:mad:

1. The interface is too complicated. I can't remember where things are.:confused: Maybe Menu Designer could help?

2. It does strange things.

example: When I tried to use it today to navigate to a nearby destination, it insisted on starting 30 miles away at a place in an itnerary where I had turned the XL off a couple of days ago, when I decided not to use it for the rest of the trip because it was familiar territory. I could not get rid of the remainder of that old itinerary. I used the Clear Route button. I deleted the old itinerary. Nothing got rid of it until I reset it.

After resetting it, awhile later, the XL could not find any satellites. Turn off and turn on did not cure it. Resetting again did not help it. Eventually I used the Reset to Factory Settings button and after that it could find the satellites. But of course I had to set all my preferences again. What causes it to lose the satellites and how to cure it?

:eek:

These problems may be due to my ignorance about how to use the XL properly, but it seems to have a very big learning curve.

3. The maps and directions have tried to lead us astray several times. I have application version 6.593 and US/Canada map version 675, which of course came with the XL. Are these the bad ones that folks on this forum have been talking about? If so, is there anything I can do about it?

If there are not any solutions for these problems, I definitely need to return the XL, it causes too much frustration for very little usefulness.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

GrannyFrog

Hello, I'll try and help you out with your problems

1. What specifically do you find complicated in the interface? I think the Menu Designer would help you to customize what you want to see. You can find it here - Link

2. When you delete an itinerary from the TT1 XL, you are deleting the file and not the itinerary that is loaded. You have to do an extra step.

Go to the Main Menu | Itinerary Planning. You should see the last loaded itinerary. From here, go to Options | New Itinerary. You should then see a message prompting you whether you want to delete the current itinerary, click on Yes.

I think that should do it.

3. The firmware and map version you have looks like the very latest. I've read in other places that the 6.75 map actually has more improvements than the previous version (shown here). I know it's describing the European maps but I'm assuming the USA/Canada map should also been improved from previous versions.

1. What specifically do you find complicated in the interface? ...

2. .... Go to the Main Menu | Itinerary Planning. You should see the last loaded itinerary. From here, go to Options | New Itinerary. You should then see a message prompting you whether you want to delete the current itinerary, click on Yes. ...

Thanks, that is helpful.

Your reply to 2. is a good example of my complaint in 1.

I do remember seeing the "delete current itinerary" but couldn't remember WHERE I saw it, and I was not planning a new itinerary, I was doing a simple Navigate To..., and it didn't come up automatically.

The menus are not very intuitive. But if I keep the XL, I will eventually learn it. Maybe making a diagram of the menu choices will help, and then maybe use Menu Designer.

Do you have any idea why the XL lost the satellites?

Granny

I'm not totally sure why. If you downloaded the latest QuickGPSFix, it should help you get a satellite lock much faster.

Come to think of it, I did connect to Home and it automatically downloaded QuickGPSFix, and it was after that when it did find the satellites next time I turned it on.

Come to think of it, I did connect to Home and it automatically downloaded QuickGPSFix, and it was after that when it did find the satellites next time I turned it on.

Thats most likely what helped the satellite locks. It's a good idea to connect to HOME to get the latest QuickGPSFix to get those quick acquisition times.

Don't use Itinary planning until you get completely familiarized with the unit.
Just punch in the destination & go , or maybe add a 'Travel Via' to set it to the course of travel that you like.
If you know partially the area, just drive the way you think are best, TomTom will listen to you.

I've been using the ONE XL for about 2 weeks now too, but I haven't had any of the problems you've mentioned. I've found it to be very similar to the ONE and pretty simple to use. It never takes more than about 30 seconds to find a satellite signal, unless I turn off the device in the middle of a trip and don?t turn it back on until later (it still thinks it's where I turned it off). The maps have been very accurate too. I'm not sure which version I have (I?ll have to check that and get back to you). I even went home to my parent?s house last weekend (who live in a newer neighborhood) and all their roads were marked.

Don't use Itinary planning until you get completely familiarized with the unit.
Just punch in the destination & go , or maybe add a 'Travel Via' to set it to the course of travel that you like.
If you know partially the area, just drive the way you think are best, TomTom will listen to you.

Thanks. That helped a lot.

I've been using the ONE XL for about 2 weeks now too, but I haven't had any of the problems you've mentioned. ....

Thanks for that encouragement. I have decided to hang in and keep using my ONE XL. The problems I've had are mostly from being unfamiliar with the TomTom.

Ask a Question