Ready for 2nd Tom Purchase--But Have Questions!

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 3rd, GO 720
TomTom Guru's,

As the title says, I'm ready to purchase a second TomTom for my delivery vehicle & I'm planning to buy one of the higher-end models (higher than my ONE 3rd, that is...). This new Tom will see heavy, daily use throughout my local area, whereas my ONE will be relegated to the lesser used, long-distance vehicle.

So, the questions: :confused:
1. I remember seeing a link to a "features comparison" chart, around the release of the current NavCore (possibly on another TT Site??). Anybody remember that URL?

2. How well (or poorly) does TomTomHome deal with two different TomToms? Will I have to install the app on separate computers to keep their add-ons & Map Guarantees straight?

3. If I go the Refurb (or eBay) Route for this purchase, am I likely to lose out on the Map Guarantee (ie. is it transferable)?

4. If I set the "trust bar" low enough, will my existing MapShare corrections readily propagate between the two units? (Assuming TT gets their server mess cleared up, any time soon...)

Thanks in advance, for any advice given!

-Ricochet

Fwiw, features I'm interested in:
Functioning Itineraries (*grumble* Nav8 *grumble*)
IQ Routing
SD Card slot
MP3/Media Player
>2hr Battery Life

"Meh" features:
Wide Screen
Voice address input
Text to Speech: Street Names
Cell-phone integration
Advanced Lane Guidance
Traffic, Weather, Fuel Prices, etc.

Last edited:
I can help you with the middle two:

If you have two units, it would be better to set up tow different TomTom accounts. However, you only need one Home installation. When you connect the different units, you simply simply log on to the TomTom account to which the device is assigned. For routine updates, you will not even have to log on. I have had three devices working on one Home application.

The map guarantee is not transferable, and generally only for 30 days. You need to get a new (sometimes refurb in like-new with one year warranty - but be careful). I got a refurb 720 from Tiger for a friend and the map guarantee came up the first time I connected it. I got a new 920 for under $300 from another source, and map guaranteed up to 810 maps. You do not want to get a unit with old maps and no guarantee - so be careful.

See if the chart on this page is what you're referring to:

http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_comparisons/tomtom-comparison-chart.html
Actually that page is more detailed than the one I remember. :cool:

The 720 (w/Nav8 & an 8.xx map) looks to be a close match for me. Maybe.

I can help you with the middle two:

If you have two units, it would be better to set up tow different TomTom accounts. However, you only need one Home installation. When you connect the different units, you simply simply log on to the TomTom account to which the device is assigned. For routine updates, you will not even have to log on. I have had three devices working on one Home application.

The map guarantee is not transferable, and generally only for 30 days. You need to get a new (sometimes refurb in like-new with one year warranty - but be careful). I got a refurb 720 from Tiger for a friend and the map guarantee came up the first time I connected it. I got a new 920 for under $300 from another source, and map guaranteed up to 810 maps. You do not want to get a unit with old maps and no guarantee - so be careful.
Okay, this helps a lot! Especially considering I have only One PC at my work, where much synching occurs...

I see that TigerDirect/CompUSA still have refurb 720's for $199 and Radio Shack appears to have the same unit for only $179. Free shipping from both. These are probably safer options than eBay. :p

R?

Last edited:
Leave the tomtom One home account alone.

Create another windows user and setup a new tomtom Home in there for the new device.

If you accidentally 'associate' your new tomtom to the existing account (older tomtom), you might end up with home not recognizing the older tomtom.

When I called support to fix the mistake I made, I was told 'one email address (account)' for each tomtom device.

For Email addresses.

I found a simple way to associate multiple e-mail addresses was with gmail. I've got my main gmail account, then one with the same account followed by "[email protected]" (for my One of course). I then just have all messages that go to the .one account forward to my main account so I don't miss any special offers and or have to check multiple accounts.

Actually that page is more detailed than the one I remember. :cool:

The 720 (w/Nav8 & an 8.xx map) looks to be a close match for me. Maybe.

Okay, this helps a lot! Especially considering I have only One PC at my work, where much synching occurs...

I see that TigerDirect/CompUSA still have refurb 720's for $199 and Radio Shack appears to have the same unit for only $179. Free shipping from both. These are probably safer options than eBay. :p

R?

The other options are much safer. Again, Map guarantee worked with the Tiger purchase and probably will with the others.

You might try the Radio Shack, as it would be easier to return IF the map guarantee did not work with it. I would do a complete windows backup (per many posts) and then try the Map Guarantee right away. If it works, its a keeper.

You might try the Radio Shack, as it would be easier to return IF the map guarantee did not work with it. I would do a complete windows backup (per many posts) and then try the Map Guarantee right away. If it works, its a keeper.
That's the one I'm leaning toward, although I see that AgileMJOLNIR is in the process of returning his refurb to them.

However, I've had bad luck getting Tiger Direct to honor their returns in the past. Hrmmm...

Either way, much backing-up will occur. I sat down today and made a list of all of the customizations & apps I've squeezed into my ONE 3rd. It'll easily take an entire weekend, or so, to get the new Tom to my liking. :eek:

That's the one I'm leaning toward, although I see that AgileMJOLNIR is in the process of returning his refurb to them.

However, I've had bad luck getting Tiger Direct to honor their returns in the past. <snip>
Tiger Direct can be frustrating to deal with. I'll never buy anything from them again. Took 7 mos for me to get a promised rebate. When I would call and check on it, they could never find me in their system... no paperwork they said. Then finally one day 7 months later, I get a check for $25. Better late than never I guess. :rolleyes:

I bought my ONE XL from CompUSA 3 weeks ago as a refurb and Latest Map Guarantee worked great. Just thought I'd add more to the "Refurb is good with LMG"

I had two goog ecxperiences with Tige (but no problem that I had to look to them to ,resolve). Theyn horored a pre-release pricerof $59.95 on the traffic reciver - a real surprise.

I also got my 920 from a source that lit up the screen when I Googled them (FotoConnect), but got a new boxed 920 for under $300 OK - plus map guarantee worked (be careful) some are pedaling "fleet" units that come with nothing and possible will not qualify for the map guarantee).

I guess I have been lucky. Returning to a local reputable store is always easier and my be worth a little higher price in the long run.

2 TomToms

I have 2, a 1st Edition & a 720. You can use one computer ut you have to have each unit registered with a different email address. You also might want to change the destination folder on the 2nd unit, otherwise all backups & downloads will go in the default folder. You can change the default folder settings thru TomTom Home, Home Preferences.

I have 2, a 1st Edition & a 720. You can use one computer ut you have to have each unit registered with a different email address. You also might want to change the destination folder on the 2nd unit, otherwise all backups & downloads will go in the default folder. You can change the default folder settings thru TomTom Home, Home Preferences.

Still an old thread....:rolleyes:

Ask a Question