RDS-TMC coverage question

Been doing some research in regards to RDS-TMC coverage for my tomtom 730 before I buy an antenna. So I checked on the TOMTOM site for coverage in the Idaho area in Boise and it doesn't show any coverage. I emailed tomtom and they confirm there is no coverage but they also confirmed that they use the service INRIX.

When I went to look at the INRIX site, on the traffic incident page boise, idaho was not listed as TOMTOM confirmed. However they do have flow coverage in the boise, idaho area. So I sent an email to INRIX and they said that they do broadcast the flow coverage for the TOMTOMs.

http://www.inrix.com/coverageflow.asp

So I am not sure who to believe, because I don't want to waste $130 bucks on a antenna that isn't going to do me any good but getting all this conflicting information does not help.

It sounds to me like you're talking about two different types of coverage, so I'll try to avoid using it at all for the rest of this reply.

There are two things that will determine whether a RDS-TMC antenna will "work":
  • Does Inrix collect and provide incident and/or flow data for a given area, and then broadcast that information as part of their RDS-TMC broadcasts?
  • Do they have a broadcasting station in/near that same area that would allow a RDS-TMC antenna to receive a signal if it were located in that area?

Based on your original message, I think the first answer is YES, but the second answer is NO. I may be wrong, but I think this would explain the apparently conflicting information.

Another option is TomTom's GPRS-based traffic service, however is possible this may not work for you depending on your cell service carrier, particular phone model, and personal preferences.

Well Inrix claims in my support email that they support in my area only flow data and not incident data and they do broadcast flow data in my area. However TOMTOM has says that only incident/flow data is reported using their but its only in Inrix incident data zones which doesn't cover Idaho.

I looked into the phone data solution, I need to check into making it work with sprint. I got some instructions that look promising, my phone links to tomtom. Going to try to make it work today.

Last edited:
Well the phone option is out since I cannot get it working on my sprint phone nor my tmobile phone. Tried a bunch of different configurations and to no avail. Both connect and I can do handsfree but thats it. They cannot establish a data connection,

Back to the RDS issue. I get another email from Inrix, who is sending the info to Clear Channel to confirm since they are the ones with the contract. Basically they are telling me what they told me before but no one will confirm if Clear Channel sends flow data through even though Inrix feeds it to them, they do not know if clear channel sends that feed or not. Waitng for Clear Channel to confirm this information.

Sprint phones are nearly impossible to pair with Tom Tom units - legitimately, at least. Verizon is much the same, but compatibility is improving with the newer units.

The TMC is a Clear Channel product and they show no coverage in Idaho on their website. http://www.realtimetraffic.net/ It may not be up to date who knows. Not sure if Clear Channel keeps up with Inrix as far as adding coverage or if thats a website issue.

The TomTom product through the gprs uses Inrix for flow data but TT says they get traffic info from a variety of local sources also so its possible they monitor incidents for the area from some government source. Only TomTom could answer that.

You have to get the $20 total internet product from T-Mobile to use TT Plus services. Even then its dependent on the phone model.
http://www.tomtom.com/phones/compatibility/devices.php?deviceId=24

Yeh it is pretty confusing I have not heard back from Clear Channel yet and TOMTOM just keeps sending me to the link on their website saying they do not support Idaho at all. Even though Inrix says they do support Idaho with Flow Data but that is the only data they provide. They did tell me however that Clear Channel may not be transmitting the flow data out to their customers even though they get the feed the inrix and its up to them what data they transmit and to where so it is all determine by the TOmtom / clear channel contract.

So it appears I am out of luck until they decide to add my area. :(

Ask a Question