Preserving saved favourites and POI on map download

TomTom Model(s)
Rider 2nd edition
I'm new here, so sorry if this has been covered already (I'm sure it has, but didn't find it on a search). I have a TT Rider 2nd Edition, and subscribe to map updates.
Problem is, every time I download a new map, it overwrites all my favourites, and I lose all my saved addresses and POIs.
I make a backup before downloading, but Home only seems to give an option for a full restore, which I guess will wipe out my new maps.
How do you preserve all your favourites when downloading new maps.
In my naivety, I assumed that map updates would somehow modify the map already installed, keeping everything else, but it seems to download a complete map each time (and it takes ages!).
Thanks in advance! :)

Copy the mapsettings.cfg file from the backed up specific map folder to the new map folder on the unit.

MapSettings.cfg holds all your Favourites and recent destinations, so copying that across will sort out those, but if you are really losing all your added POI categories too, that's quite unusual.
If you are.. then you'll also need to copy all the POI .ov2 and accompanying .bmp files over from your backup too.

I also note from your post that it sounds like you've been using Home to make your backup.... We always recommend you backup using Windows Explorer instead (not Internet Explorer!). That way, you can make as many backups as you like (Home only allows one), and you can also make partial ones and restore just the bits you want to restore.

Instructions for making backups with Windows Explorer are in the "Articles" section at the top of the page.

Thanks both. Did I mention I'm a PC idiot as well? :confused:

I've located a folder called TomTom-Cfd (location Rider2/backup01/internalmemory).
I guess that's what I'm supposed to copy over, but how do I do that?

Thanks for the tips about the multiple back up. I'll take a look at that now.

Appreciate all the help.:)

:thumb: How I wish I'd joined this forum when I first bought it.

A backup is taking place as we 'speak'.

I'm not sure what was meant by open "windows explorer"

I just opened up the PC from the desktop, found the TomTom as an external drive, and copied the contents to a new folder on my hard drive?

Hope that's right. I found only one drive, not two.

This is going to sound incredibly stupid, but I never thought to look for the Rider as a drive, simply because every time I connect it, it opens Home, rather than going through that routine you get with other external drives, where it pops up and asks if you want to open files and what have you... :rolleyes:

Incidentally, I found I'd made a backup to my work PC last year, and have found 2 files from previous backups called MapSettings.cfg. One has a path from storage, the other from internal memory.

Is one the other or both of these what I should copy back? They're small, only 4k, but as I tend to backup immediately after downloading a new map, they probably have none of my favourites in there anyway..

Your help is much appreciated.

The mapsettings.cfg file in the current map you are backing up will be more current with favourites, recent destinations, etc.

Thanks. But the one I've just backed up was just after downloading a new map, so I'm guessing it doesn't have any favourites on it (apart from where I went yesterday).
I was hoping the old backup could be used to restore favourites I had before the download, so the idea was to copy the backup MapSettings.csg from the previous backup on my PC to the TT, to (hopefully) restore these?

Or have I got it wrong?

Thanx; I'll let you know how it goes.
Either way, I'll now know to backup just before as well as just after doing a map download, so at least i know anything created from now on will be fine.

I'm not sure what was meant by open "windows explorer"

I just opened up the PC from the desktop, found the TomTom as an external drive, and copied the contents to a new folder on my hard drive?

That's great. "Windows Explorer" is just one of the many names that Microsoft have used for their file manager window. It's the same thing as you get if you click on the "My Computer" icon in XP.

In Windows 7 I think you just get a menu item for "Computer" in the Start menu, but they all open the same basic window to manage your drives, folders and files.

:thumb: That's progress for you I guess.
We're still running XP at work, so looks like we're on the right track.
Thanx!

Ask a Question