POI Phone Number questions

I asked this in the general TT forum and didn't really get an answer. Maybe it will be better here.

I got the TT and have updated it to the latest maps and added the voice recognition files and everything works great. I love verything about the unti with this one exception - well two actually. The battery seems to last only 2 hours and the thing conks out. I may just have a bad unit that way.

Here is the one thing I can't figure out. When I want information on a POI and want to call that number through my phone, TT places a +1 in front of the number on the TT unit and then when I try to get it to call the number, it adds a 0111 in front of every number. I believe this is the country access number for the US if you are calling from outside the US. I called TT and they said tough, this is the way it is. They said I could edit the POI telephone information but doing this for each one would be laborious.

Funny thing, when I sent my phone book info over to the TT, those numbers do not have this problem (Sprint RAZR2 phone)

So, what I am trying to figure out is if everyone has the same thing on the TT unit and if there is a fix? I would really appreciate knowing if this is a problem with this unit or if I am just unlucky.

Thanks for the help.

Mark W

It is a known problem and TT is aware of it.
Unfortunately ther eis no fix for it unless u edit the phone number like TomTom said.

In the GSM cell phone world + means "here comes the country code". It doesn't matter what contry you're in the call will succeed. So if I'm in the US I can dial +14085551234 and I will some poor sod in CA bay area. If I then travel to New Zealand I can dial the exact same number it will work, I don't have to care what the long distance international access number is in new zealand, it'll work. Same thing works for calls there, if I store my Kiwi friend's number as +61211231234 it'll work both in the US, NZ, or anywhere else, NZ is country coad 61.

I'm guessing it works fine on GSM phones,. The US though uses a lot of CDMA and it doesn't have the concept of + inherent in the system. The only major GSM carries are AT&T and T-mobile. My old UTstarcom phone with sprint understood +, so maybe it'll slowly work it's way in?

Maybe you can the the international access number in the phone? (in this case setting it to nothing) Sadly Tomtom might be doing exactly what the BT spec calls for and the phone is screwing up. I don't know.

Ask a Question