OpenTom MP3 & TT910

TomTom Model(s)
Has anyone got openTom MP3 to work on a go 910 running firmware v6.524?

I am actually looking for an MP3 player w/ more functionality then the TT shipping version...ie playlists, etc.

Last edited:
Has anyone got openTom MP3 to work on a go 910 running firmware v6.524?

I am actually looking for an MP3 player w/ more functionality then the TT shipping version...ie playlists, etc.

The 910 has playlist icon, which I have yet to use. But what don't you like about it?

I just looked at the opentom mp3 page at http://www.maintech.de/nonprofit-projects/opentom-mp3-player/

It sound like this takes over the functionality of the unit. So it's to be used when you don't need the mapping functions. It also doesn't mention the 910 as a unit that works with opentom. Not clear if it's because it doesn't work or simply because it has a builtin mp3 player and would be useless.

Maybe someone here has tried. Our resident expert is Pedro, any thoughts?

You can create playlist with your 910.
Within the mp3 folder in your 910 harddrive, create a subfolder and name it as a playlist.
Paste any mp3s into each folder.
Create as many folders you would like.

You can create playlist with your 910.
Within the mp3 folder in your 910 harddrive, create a subfolder and name it as a playlist.
Paste any mp3s into each folder.
Create as many folders you would like.

Is there any way to virualize this? That is not have duplicate copies of the mp3 on the disk...one for the album and a 2nd for the play list...

exactly! It's very inefficient to have duplicate mp3s into a playlist folder. That uses up your precious space. I'm making a playlist now from windows media player. Just add your tomtom E: mp3 folder into windows media let it file all the songs from the tomtom and then you can create your playlist from the list of songs and create your playlist file. Then simply move it over to the mp3 directory. Atleast that's my thought. Will post success on it in a min.

okay that didn't work. Tomtom accepts .pla files. the ones I make in windows media player are m3u. Tomtom recognizes if you do a search in tomtom home but when you go to install it it just sends all the actual songs in the playlist to the tomtom which is also duplicating files. Isn't there a way to create an actual playlist that allows tomtom to pull music from within the mp3 directory on the tomtom?

I don't have a 910 but can you do something like this:

1. Put all your music you want to play a directory.
2. Create your playlist as a text file with .pla extention (playlist.pls, for example) that will contain the names of the music files for playlist, one music file per line.

Would that work?

I downloaded a playlist (xml) file from iTunes, then renamed the file extension to .pls so TT Home will recognize it. TTHome does indeed recognize it, but it doesn't show up in the Install section... Any ideas?

The idea I was trying is when choosing an MP3 to play, instead choose the playlist file. If it works, it would play the MP3 files in the order specified in the playlist.

I put all my songs into playlist folders by artist, "Metallica," "Van Halen," etc. The TomTom will list all of the songs regardless of playlist folder in the "songs" list. Depending on whether the MP3 was set up properly it will also list them by artist. Then I can also open the play lists and see them all under my artist playlists.

Ask a Question