ONE XL acting weird?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
ONE XL is posessed :(

I decided to turn on my ONE XL just now and got some crazy things on the map as to my current location. I am at home right now in Florida, and never have I seen or heard of this crazy street (even the roads look crazy) and is NOTHING similar to what my street/grid looks like. Then after a reboot of the device, I see nothing but stars (which are actually animated to my surprise) Is this normal or....?

Photo_838.jpg

Photo_839.jpg

Photo_840.jpg

Photo_841.jpg

Photo_842.jpg

Photo_843.jpg

Update : OK I now think this device is going haywire because every time I reboot it, it shows that I'm in a different location.

Update again: AHH, now the device is rebooting itself ever few minutes. It does this with or without the charger. Every time it reboots, it's someplace else in some CRAZY looking streets. The street names I also haven't ever heard of. I'm also adding new pics on every update. Sorry for the crappy quality pictures since I'm using my phone camera.

Last edited:
I decided to pull out my Magellan to see if MAYBE the issue was a satellite issue but apparantly it's not. It's my ONE XL that's posessed. I'm sorry with all of the pics but I'm trying to see if this has ever happened to anyone. The Magellan on the left has my exact perfect location whereas the ONE XL is cookoo! What's weird is that the coordinates are the same. Weird :( I also did try like 6 pin resets with no luck. I have only owned this device since 9/14. I also had bought an extra 2 year replacement waranty on it. It's under 30 days so maybe now I have a reason to return the XL and get maybe a 730. It's sad though because I'min love with this thing! We'll see how things turn out.

Here's some better pics with my digi cam

Photo_846.jpg

^^^ Here's a day color shot. What roads possibly look like this!??! ^^^

P1010141.jpg

P1010146-1.jpg

P1010148.jpg

P1010150.jpg

It appears as if the map is faulty. I'd call customer support and send the person you talk with a link to the photos you posted here or provide some other way to get the evidence to TomTom.

Definitely something weird going on.

Ok I found out that it was only the information on the internal memory that was really messed up. When I would insert the SD card, everything was dandy. When I remove the SD card, everything goes to poop and I get what you see in those pictures. I ran a chkdisk (since it kept bugging me to anyways) and it found TONS of corruption/lost fragments on the device. It created a folder named Found.001 or something similar and had 272 MB worth of recovered files.

Rebooting the device after that, the device defaulted to the Guam map (I don't even know where the heck this map came from) and the USA&Canada map looked like !&)($^&)G&D(@ as a selection.

I waned to try something, so I backed up the current internal memory contents (this is like the 13th separate backup I have now lol) and decided to format the device. I noticed before I formatted, the device was using the FAT32 file system (weird) I never touched the internal memory before so I don't know why it was set like that. Ok so I now formatted and everything is wiped clean with a FAT file system. Booted up device but got red X (of course)

I didn't want to restore a known backup just yet because I wanted to see if HOME was capable of recovering a completely blank device on it's own, and it IS! It first starts by downloading Navcores in version order rather than jumping straight to 8. Home first downloaded/installed 6, made me reboot the device, then home installed Navcore 7, reboot, then Navcore 8, reboot, and now everything is dandy except that I have no map on the device. So in HOME, I just select "maps" and selected my map and started downloading/installing it to my device automatically. I guess HOME knows I already own that map since I had downloaded it from HOME previously. The location of the map showed "My computer." When you download/purchase a map from HOME, it keeps a copy of that downloaded map on your PC (I'm not talking about a backup) and now the map is working PERFECTLY. It's like you just bought it from the store.

Now I know this may seem useless as I could have just restored a backup and called it a day, but I wanted my original features back. On my 2GB SD card I have TomTom Player installed + the really huge POI database. Having that media player installed removes my Help Me! feature and other menu items. On the internal memory I want STOCK items on there. So if I'm ever in trouble and need the Help Me! feature, I just pull out the SD card, and my original TomTom stuff is there.

I think the map install only works (without calling tech support) if you have previously downloaded the map on that same computer using Home. I decided to see if I could fix the problem before calling tech support and it worked out well.

I didn't know the TomTom would still semi function with it being completely wiped. Sorry if most of this is old news.

Ohh and dhn, you were very right about the map itself being at fault. It somehow got corrupted on the internal memory. I still have a backup of the possesed state.

Last edited:
Glad things are back and working. Yes, everything dl from TomTom (maps, quickgpsfix files, mapshares -- when they work, which is NOT now -- get dl to the computer prior to installation).

Make a full backup of your current working unit's contents (I suspect you have :D ) using Explorer and dump that possed backup.

Ok I found out that it was only the information on the internal memory that was really messed up. When I would insert the SD card, everything was dandy. When I remove the SD card, everything goes to poop and I get what you see in those pictures. I ran a chkdisk (since it kept bugging me to anyways) and it found TONS of corruption/lost fragments on the device. It created a folder named Found.001 or something similar and had 272 MB worth of recovered files.

Rebooting the device after that, the device defaulted to the Guam map (I don't even know where the heck this map came from) and the USA&Canada map looked like !&)($^&)G&D(@ as a selection.

I waned to try something, so I backed up the current internal memory contents (this is like the 13th separate backup I have now lol) and decided to format the device. I noticed before I formatted, the device was using the FAT32 file system (weird) I never touched the internal memory before so I don't know why it was set like that. Ok so I now formatted and everything is wiped clean with a FAT file system. Booted up device but got red X (of course)

I didn't want to restore a known backup just yet because I wanted to see if HOME was capable of recovering a completely blank device on it's own, and it IS! It first starts by downloading Navcores in version order rather than jumping straight to 8. Home first downloaded/installed 6, made me reboot the device, then home installed Navcore 7, reboot, then Navcore 8, reboot, and now everything is dandy except that I have no map on the device. So in HOME, I just select "maps" and selected my map and started downloading/installing it to my device automatically. I guess HOME knows I already own that map since I had downloaded it from HOME previously. The location of the map showed "My computer." When you download/purchase a map from HOME, it keeps a copy of that downloaded map on your PC (I'm not talking about a backup) and now the map is working PERFECTLY. It's like you just bought it from the store.

Thanks for posting this note. Makes me feel better knowing that I have a shot at brining my TT back if I screw it up too bad. (and yes, of course I've also made backups but still good to know there's a scond level of protection.

Rick

Had this same thing happen a few months ago. Maps look the same as your pics , I deleted the USA/Canada map then installed a backup and all was fixed. So you're not alone in that panic problem. :) Glad you found the problem.

Similar situation need help

Hi,
I am a first time user of Tomtom one XL, used it on a couple of trips and found some streets roads, missing thus went ahead to update my map, loaded tomtom home on my PC got some updates and proceeded to upgrade the device.

Now I have the same problem as described -- blank screen with blinking stars, GPS cordinates show the city I live in but the map shows GUAM - Streets and cities never heard of, I don,t have a clue of, my geography being poor (may be in the land of Alladin and his magic lamp --at least for me).

Like always I read the manual after the encounter, means I did not take a backup of the device.
Can any one guide me on this issue, thanks.

Regards
:eek:
Pius

Weird Odd GPS "tracking"

Here's a very strange problem that I had last summer with my GPS....It turned it self on and seemed to be traveling through acertain area quite a few miles from where it was located.Much of the information is in the video caption.Feel free to ask any questions.I would like to know if there is a any reasonable explanation for this GPS behaving this way.I am new to this forum and cannot post links .Please search youtube for "Odd GPS Greenwood Cemetary strange.3gp" I would love to hear any input as to how this GPS "tracking " could occur.

@robtomtomxl
Under any other circumstances, I'd write it off to being in the garage and having a really weak and 'drifty' satellite fix, and having the location(s) you recorded somewhere in your area, but I'm looking at FOUR bars of signal, plenty enough to get a pretty decent fix that should have put you within at most a couple of score yards from your actual location.

Like you said, "Beats me".

Ask a Question