old to new model challenge

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL, VIA 1505M
if this query has been answered, please excuse and point me to the appropriate thread(s).

i have a new VIA1505M replacing ONE/XL.
Q1 - how do i keep my favourites?
Q2 - do i need to delete the old software or will the activation remove the old and replace?
Q3 - there's nothing wrong with the old navigator and i don't want to throw it away. how can i allow my friend to use it legitimately?

please and thank you.

A1 - Use the Transfer Content tool found here: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14081/?locale=en_GB

A2 - Not sure what you mean. The VIA requires MyTomTom (get it at tomtom.com/getstarted). It does not use the Home 2 application.

A3 - You can restore to factory defaults. This will remove any custom settings. You may also want to remove any custom poi sets you have added.

Also, since you have the 'M' model, you **must** activate the code. In theory, you can activate online once you've installed MyTomTom; in reality, it is much easier just to call CS at 866-486-6866 and let them do it.

And when you register the VIA, do not use the same email address as the one associated with the ONE. The email address you use doesn't have to be real, just in the proper (e-mail address removed) format.

thank you dhn

comments and more questions:
1. understood
2. since it seems like there is new software, i will remove the old after i have installed the new and transferred my favourites. ok?
3. are you saying that after i resore the factory defaults, my friend can download the Home 2 app and use the older tomtom. will there be any conflict with registration?
Q4 - why can i not use the same email addy? and do they not check the addy to determine if it real or not?

What software? Home 2? If so, you can remove it if you don't need it.

The friend can call CS and explain that the unit should be assigned to his email address if there are any issues.

It is much easier to use a new email address. Otherwise, you may get stuff offered for the new unit that is really meant for the older one. No, they don't check the validity of addresses.

The whole email thing is a mess.
We know it would be far more sensible to be able to keep the old address and move it onto a new device, and you *can* do it that way.
It's just we also know from bitter experience that it always seems to come back to haunt you if you do.

Easier to just use a new one. Think of it as a name for the device rather than an email address. If you can set up extra addresses with your ISP or email provider, so well and good, but TT only use it to send you marketing stuff you don't need.

I have several TomTom account names that have NEVER been real email addresses, but which work fine to log into my accounts on the TT website and for getting Live Services on the devices.

Ask a Question