Ok, ready to head to Florida... well sort of.

TomTom Model(s)
One
I will leaving on an annual road trip to FL next month and have my TTOne with the new North America maps installed. We have used a route for the past few years that we like, what is the best way for me to follow that route on my TTOne. I had the TTOne plot a route to FL, while most of it takes the same route, it does differ a little. Do I have to plot each leg indivudally, or is it possible to save a full route in the system. How do i tell the TTOne if i want to take a different HWY??

It is actually pretty easy....you need to go into the menu to itinerary planning....

From there you can select different points....If you are just going to bypass the points I would suggest calling them waypoints aso opposed to destinations. Then you will pass by each point along your route. You can select them via addresses, map points, etc.....i suggest map points and zoom into the road portion you need to go on and be sure you are on the correct side of the road or it will navigate you around to get there.....

Give it a go...took me a few tries to get my route from Albuquerque to San Antonio correct but it is worth the effort to do the route this way...

There are 3rd party apps that you can use a route from goodle but I havent tried them yet.

Good luck!

Plot the entire route through waypoints....here is how I did my route to Texas From NM...

I chose the destination and had the TT calculate the route....
The areas that took different highways I ended up selecting a point that I knew I wanted to go by and made that a waypoint. I calculated the route....

Again if there was another point that was away from where I wanted to go I did the same thing.

You will have another menu option for managing the points where you can move them up and down along the route if you want to....

Good luck!

Ok so here is what I did, I plotted from start to finish my trip to Florida with all the waypoints inputted in, then I hit calculate (fastest route) and while it was good on most parts it seems to route me in weird exits and u-turns, I mean, the end result is the same but it added 2 hours more to my trip than the trip tik that I printed out from CAA, which I believe uses the NAVTEQ maps. Does this mean i have to put more waypoints in as the TOMTOM is filling in the blanks itself if I have too much of a gap between waypoints? IE. when I cross the border in Niagara falls (rainbow bridge) it wants to send me down bunch of side streets before I get to the highway when I know thats not the fastest route.

It is a hit and miss endeavor.

When I plan my itineraries I end up doing the route with waypoints as I see fit. Then I have it calculate the route and I view through the "Browse as Pictures". When I encounter a strange routing...I just go back to that waypoint and see if there is something more logical to route to.

What I end up having to do sometimes is instead of putting the point, using the browse on map feature, I on an intersection I try to put it just beyond the point where the turn is. For example, if you want to exit the highway then take a road further on, I take the point and place it on the exited road off of the highway and not on the exit. I then make a point on the desired turn road a few yards past the actual intersection.

It takes some experimentation. I am not sure the algorithm that the TT uses to figure routes though...I know shortest route will do just that...distance. Fastest route, however, I am not entirely sure how it works.

Experiment with both ways and see how it works for you.

Good luck!

yea, I just figured that I needed to add some more points, what I also find tricky is that some roads that go north south actually are labelled east/west, so you have to zoom in really close to make sure you put your waypoint on the right side of the road or the TTone gets confused and has you making all sorts of U-turns.

ok, so now I loaded in some new waypoints and all is going well, so i decide to review my trip picture by picture, all is well so far so I press the button "add" to keep on plotting my trip and it gives me the "no more locations can be added to the itin" ... what the heck is this all about?

I was reading that there is a 48 Waypoint limit in the itineraries but have not verified this. Are you putting the spots in as Waypoints or Destinations?

A solution would be to break the route into 2 separate ones if you are running into a limit.

Let me know if this is the case...Im curious.

Regards:)

Ask a Question