Not turning radio back on

Question without being connected to Android auto is the application working on your phone.
you mean TomTom? Yes it is working on my phone. Android Auto App is also working on my phone. It says it is linked wireless but does not mention USB. Waiting for the other USB cable first. The Android auto app seemed to have an USB cable/connection test built in the App in 2022 but apparently they removed that again. The USB cable gives power but seems like there is no data connection with the Android Head Unit. Not sure how to test the cable. There seems to be a lot of issues with this. The USB cable that came with my phone I can not use because it has 2 Male C-type connectors. I need 1 Male A-type and 1 Male C-type

As Juergen says, the app is carried on the phone.
Then in the phone setting, search for Android Auto. in AA open ‘customise launcher’ and make sure TT Go is ticked.
I’m not sure why you are focussing on USB connection….Android Auto is a wireless system!

thanks. Yes I did all you mentioned. TT Go is ticked in "customize launcher" but it doesn't show up on my Car Unit. I have it on there at the moment but this is because I installed it using "Google Play" on my car unit. But apparently when installed on the car unit itself it does not work properly. When I removed the TT-GO app from the car unit it does not show on the car unit via my phone. Also for instance the Whatsapp App does not show up on the car unit even though in the "customize launcher" it shows and is also ticked/marked.

So in your opinion it should also work without USB? I watched several videos and I got the impression you need a USB cable.

See for instance this video:

In any case my Bluetooth and also Wifi is working. But I am not seeing the Apps I have on my phone on the car unit

well the new USB cable also doesn't work. Android car system does not seem to connect to the phone via USB. The little logo does not light up like it does for Bluetooth. Will test the other USB tomorrow. Drained the battery with all this messing around.

But seems like it is a common problem that some don't get the phone Apps to mirror on the Android head unit. Feeling a bit sorry I bought the thing because the radio is also not clear. Some antenna problem. I took a Bosch Multimedia Compact out because the maps were old and I thought it would be fun to have a new Android system. Not so much fun so far ...

Is Android Auto installed on your head unit?
If not, then I cannot see how your phone would ever connect!

yes it is installed. I can switch between Apple's "Car Play" and Android's "Android Auto", both are on the head unit

I read somewhere that for these latest Android head units it is not necessary to run the Apps from the phone side. I have "Google Play" on my head unit and can download and install all the Apps I need. So I run TomTom from the head unit now because I do not get to see my phones apps appear on the head unit.

All works good except for the sound of the TomTom App. Will ask the help desk. My head unit is from Junsun, will check with them as well.

As you have already said, the GO navigation application has not been tested to be installed on the main unit.

Install the app on your phone and delete the app on your main unit.

i got it to work. As explained my problem was that I could not see the Apps on my phone. I have 2 USB cables attached to my Android head unit. I used the 6pin for my phone and the 4 pin for my dashboard camera. I changed that around now. Was not so easy because I had to open everything up again.

But now it works :) I can see that my head unit is connected both with the Bluetooth and USB. So now I can also see the apps on my phone. Tested Tomtom and seems to work fine.

Only thing I have to figure out is how to toggle from Apps on the Phone mode to Car mode. Now I need to have the phone attached and then start the car and then I see the apps of my phone appear on the head unit. But if I leave that screen I did not figure out yet how to get back to that screen. Seems I tried everything but can't get back into that screen, only if I restart the car

figured out how to toggle to "Phone Mode Apps" and "Car Mode Apps". Had to tap on a preinstalled App called "Carletter" on my machine. All working great. The phone and the head unit show the same when running Tomtom. And the voice comes over the head unit. Works simultaneously with the radio. Not sure why Bluetooth was not sufficient but I prefer using the USB cable anyways. Working SUPER now.

Only thing I have to solve is the slight crack in the radio. My car has a pretty thin wire coming from the antenna and then goes to a FAKRA connector. My old audio system also had a FAKRA connector. But this Android head unit has the old fashioned female antenna connector (DIN-ISO). So I had to use a crossover cable and possibly this is causing some slight noise because the FAKRA connector coming from the antenna is as old as the car. Going to try some contactspray else I possibly have to replace that female FAKRA connector on the antenna side.

Ask a Question