Returning To USA

TomTom Model(s)
I am shortly returning to the USA with my TomTom 1005.

This has USA maps but no Live Traffic for the USA. With the new maps and traffic for life now may be a good time to buy a new TomTom in the USA.

I want a TomTom with maps for life, traffic for life (NOT via a smartphone) and the ability to add my own POI's. Is this possible? My understanding is that adding third party POI's is no longer possible on new TomTom's, is that correct?

Any suggestions?

Look for any Tomtom sold in the USA with a TM in the name. I saw that amazon and best buy still have many of them.

I don't remember if the START TM models do custom POI, so you may want to stick with the VIA models to be sure.

... traffic for life (NOT via a smartphone)
You don't say if you would be satisfied with RDS-TMC traffic or whether you're looking for the much better Live traffic. However, if it's the latter you want, you're stuck. Even if you could find a unit with integrated cell modem for Live traffic (e.g., a GO1535), the AT&T 2G service that supports this will be going away soon (completely gone by the end of 2016, and you can bet it will disappear bit by bit before then). At least for the time being, using your own cell modem (your cell phone) is the way TomTom seems to want to approach this issue. And THOSE units don't support custom POI (yet). Bit of a problem, that.

Ask a Question