Northern Ontario Roads Off?

Are the Roads in Northern Ontario off because of the maps or the accuracy of the GPS Signal. I was just in Algonquin and it kept showing me 80 to 150 feet off of the road.

Are the Roads in Northern Ontario off because of the maps or the accuracy of the GPS Signal. I was just in Algonquin and it kept showing me 80 to 150 feet off of the road.

Could be either poor mapping in the area or weak GPS signal. Did you happen to notice how many satellites you were getting a signal from?

I live north of the park, and it's not uncommon to be "off road" with my Tomtom. Sometimes it will have me oscillating between roads, which is kinda annoying.

It wouldn't surprise me that something is off a little.

-Gary

A few times on my trip across the country, it was off, sometimes by nearly a km or two (For that occasion, i think it's just poor mapping cause it's clear and there are absolutely no obstructions that I can see. This was near Thunder Bay).

Here in Scarborough the actual location is very accurate relative to to coordinates.
It is a different story with street addresses. Until about March Google's ?2007 maps had my house spot on. The ?2008 map moved me 86 m (~200 ft) to the west and slightly south.

On some very small little traveled roads in Ireland it could happen for a mile that my location was shown with a dashed perpendicular line parallel to the road I was on.
Based on that I would presume that the GPS is correct and the physical map used was a little sloppy.

there are typically issues with tomtom maps specifically in canada (and ireland, for the record). it's something tomtom is aware of and is working on improving. (an effort that is partially user-assisted with mapshare and teleatlas's map insight)

I've been using the TT one ver2 from MB to BC and it jumps all the time off course. It gets very annoying at times and TT help has no answer for me. I just have learned to live with it!

Ask a Question