A Sunny Sunday From Northern Illinois

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One
Greetings one and all. My daughter gave a TomTom One to me for fathers day and I'm attempting to figure out what version it is. I've read the responses that say the serial number is the key but my S/N doesn't fit into what I've found so far. My S/N PB4358F03948

I'm also seeking assistance in figuring out how to change my position marker from an arrow to a car.

I want to be able to save the current location (not home location) without entering an address. Is that possible with a TomTom One? My lady friend's Garmin has a feature that allows you to save the current location and name it.

Any help appreciated.

Welcome to TTF.

Make sure you have an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Use Explorer to look at the contents of your unit. In the root of the unit should be a file called something like ttgo.bif. Use Notepad to look at the contents and see what it shows for your unit (second line)

Not all models have the functionality to change the car icon. If yours does, it'll be under Preferences-->Car icon. Also, to see the changed icon, the map has to be in 3D, not 2D mode.

Also, manage Favourites-->Add favourite-->Current position.

[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom ONE
DeviceVersionHW=ONE (v8)
DeviceSerialNumber=PB4358F0xxxx
DeviceUniqueID=AKTZY AAM7S
RamDiskVersion=20080416
BootLoaderVersion=55019
LinuxVersion=180062
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=7522
ApplicationVersion=9270

There are a million One versions but yours appears to be a v8 (version 8) with the EasyPort mount and no sd card sot.

Welcome to TTF.

Make sure you have an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.
I was surprised to find the unit is layed out like a PC inside and appears as another drive when attached. Took forever but I followed your great suggestion. Thanks.

Also, manage Favourites-->Add favourite-->Current position.
Turns out on this one, it's Add Favorite --> My Location.

I've also changed my startup display to this. Any Marines out there, if you like, feel free to grab it and use it. It's already set up in the correct format and file extension.

Ask a Question