Nextel no option to enter S=2 for data connection.

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 720
Does anyone know how I can access this? I updated to 8.010 and now when I go to resetup the wireless data connection I get to the "Dial" screen and there is no options to bring up Symbols anymore. All I have are numbers, +, -, & * options.

Is there any way to access the symbols or a file I can manually update to fix this issue? It sucks not being able to use my TT Traffic services that I am paying for :(

Does anyone know how I can access this? I updated to 8.010 and now when I go to resetup the wireless data connection I get to the "Dial" screen and there is no options to bring up Symbols anymore. All I have are numbers, +, -, & * options.

Is there any way to access the symbols or a file I can manually update to fix this issue? It sucks not being able to use my TT Traffic services that I am paying for :(

I am also looking for this info. Anyone figure out how to look at the connect2internet.db file.

I am also looking for this info. Anyone figure out how to look at the connect2internet.db file.

Edit: Just realized why you guys are having trouble.
Lie to the TomTom and tell them that your iDen phone (probably is, since you're after s=2 for the Sprint/Nextel) is actually a Motorola A1000. It really doesn't matter, since you'll be programming everything manually anyway, and calling it an A1000 will cause the special characters on the "keyboard" to become available during configuration. Many of the other phone type selections, including Other, do NOT!

All of the items are ASCII files that can be created externally from within the "ppp" folder of your 720. Use Wordpad or equivalent to edit.

The specific spot for the "s=2" for your iDen phone is in the file "gprs-connect-chat". Here are all of my dialing and connect files and their contents for my Nextel i870:

ppp/chap-secrets
(e-mail address removed) * sprint

ppp/gprs-connect-chat
TIMEOUT 5
ECHO ON
ABORT '\nBUSY\r'
ABORT '\nERROR\r'
ABORT '\nNO ANSWER\r'
ABORT '\nNO CARRIER\r'
ABORT '\nNO DIALTONE\r'
ABORT '\nRINGING\r\n\rRINGING\r'
'' \rATZ
TIMEOUT 12
OK-AT-OK 'ATDs=2'
CONNECT ""

ppp/gprs-disconnect-chat
TIMEOUT 5
ABORT '\nBUSY\r'
ABORT '\nERROR\r'
ABORT '\nNO DIALTONE\r'
'' '\K'
'' '\K'
'' '\K'
'' '+++ATH'
'' '+++ATH'
'' '+++ATH'

ppp/pap-secrets
(e-mail address removed) * sprint

Last edited:
Still doesn't bring up the alpha, only numbers. Have firmware version 8.3.
A piece I did not mention before and really SHOULD have.

When I set up my i870 Motorola, I lied to the TomTom firmware and told it I had a Motorola 1200, and specified the cell provider as "Other". By telling it I had a Motorola 1200, that caused the virtual keyboard to show the "special character" button at the bottom so that I was able to enter the "=" as it needed for the "s=2" that places the iDEN series into dial-up mode.

Note that if I entered "Other" for phone type, I was never offered that button that would let me get to the special characters screen, and was in the same boat as what you describe.

The A1000 cheat is what I was doing prior to version 8.3, and when I was (briefly) using 8.3, and I had to recreate the BT connection after the upgrade, I was able to duplicate the same process as described above. When I moved back from 8.3, had to do it all over again.

Note that while the phone book sync doesn't work with the i870, I can (but never would) use the TomTom as a hands-free unit (the speakerphone on the i870 serves me better), and it works fine as a dial-up networking device for traffic, weather, etc.

If it isn't offering the special chars button at the bottom, I don't know what to tell you. Try "1200" for phone and "Other" for provider one more time and see what happens...

Last edited:
Is it possible to get an already setup file to copy into the gps?
Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll attach the phone files from my unit. I won't matter that I'm running an i870 and you're running something else -- it's the specifics of the dialing/account/PW that matter, and that's the same for all of us.

I had my i580 working with my 920 a while back before I switched carriers. I'm now considering getting Boost Mobile SIM for my iDEN phone specifically for use with my TomTom, and am now discovering this configuration issue.

Have the config files been copied from another device and been shown to work?

Ask a Question