Newbie, updates frustration

First, I have a explorer back up from when I first bought the XL 335 TM 3 months ago. Last night I plugged the unit into my laptop and accepted all the updates HOME recommended. A new map was identified and I opted to install the map. I was able to dowload the map to my laptop, but I received an error message when trying to update the GPS. After disconnecting GPS from laptop, turned it on, and screen said no maps. I tried to copy original back up from hard drive over onto GPS and said not enough space. I reformated the GPS with FAT32 and copy back on to the GPS the original brand new backup. GPS was working then. So then I go onto HOME and try again to get the new map and still receiving error msg. When I get home in a couple hours I will spend the rest of the evening trying to get everythinig fixed again. This time, I will try to update the map without using HOME. I've read the instructions on the sticky that explain how to do it. My question is this: When trying to update the map without using HOME, do you have to delete the map that's on the GPS first; or can you just copy from the laptop hard drive and it will overwrite the map that's on the GPS automatically.

I'm frustrated with these issues because it was working fine up until now. A new map update comes out and now I'm without a GPS for 2+ days and counting? The only thing I can think of that I might be doing wrong on my end is that I'm not clear on whether I should delete the map on the unit to make space for HOME to install the new one? Or is the new one supposed to just seamlessly install over the old one without me having to make space.

Sorry for my rant, but would appreciate the Dummies Guide version of how to minimize update errors.

Thanks in Advance

Ed

New map

What I would suggest is when you get home, connect your TT to your laptop, launch tthome and go to the section, "Manage My Tomtom". Remove the computer voices you will not need, make sure you leave at least one so you can get spoken turn by turn directions. This will give you an option to copy the removed voices to your laptop so you could put them back if necessary. The computer voices consume a lot of space and removing unnecessary "Computer" voices will make enough space for the new map to install properly. If you are greeted with a new map initially, I would bypass that step until you can delete the unnecessary voices, perhaps some of the car artwork too then relaunch TThome and let it update the device.

I hope that helps.

Yes!

Thank you for your reply. I don't know how exactly it happened but I jus kept using Home to continue to update application over and over about 5 times and I was about to give up and do manual map install when next thing you know, it was updated and working!

I am backing up with explorer right now. All I can say is WOW! But I'm happy it all worked out in the end. I was getting PISSED!

Ask a Question