Newbie here

howdy, I come from CT in peace!

I am currently looking into the TomTom ONE Portable GPS Vehicle Navigation System. I assume I can get European maps for it, which would be essential for me.

so, the TomTom ONE will work fine in Europe?

Yes it will. Many people bring their GPS devices to different countries and it works well provided you have the maps for the places you are visiting.

off hand, which is the cheapest TomTom with internal memory. I know the 910 has 20gigs and comes with the Euro maps.

If you want the cheapest TomTom with internal memory, the TomTom ONE Third Edition is what you are looking for.

Yes it will. Many people bring their GPS devices to different countries and it works well provided you have the maps for the places you are visiting.

If you want the cheapest TomTom with internal memory, the TomTom ONE Third Edition is what you are looking for.

um, ok I just looked and it has only 1 gig of internal memory. is that FREE memory or are the preloaded maps on there already taken some of that space up?

I found the EURO maps online and they take up 800MB's or more, so much for 1 gig.

I have noticed that the 910 has been replaced with the 920, so the 910 is going to be pretty cheap to get ones hand on it sooner or later, or so I hope. im not in to much of a rush at this moment in time, as I wont be moving over seas until late dec, and xmas for others is a little more important then for myself at the moment.

so, I was thinking of maybe waiting a little longer and see how cheap the 910 will go for.
but do I really need 20gigs? I would be fine if one had like 4 or 6 gigs, I just dont really feel comfortable running maps of a SD card.

now, online I have only seen the 910 as a refurbished model. are these refurbished from TOMTOM or some other company? and any idea what the reputation is on these refurbished models?

sorry for all the questions, I just have not had much time at all to do any homework on these myself. thank you very much!!

Greetings to all. New TomTom owner (920T). Having a bit of difficulty getting Home software to load. Can't connect to the TomTom website, so I presume that is the problem. Will try at work on my laptop on Monday.

Previous owner of a Garmin StreetPilot. I still have a older GPSIII Plus, and a AvMap GT4 (both of which I use for APRS in Amateur Radio). Bought the 920T because of traffic reporting. Avmap US rep says that their company is tied up working on aeronautical unit, and that no support for traffic, or map updates are on the immediate horizion (no time frame known, as a matter of fact). So, the traffic ability of the 920T caught my eye. I spent about 3 weeks researching different units, from the various manufacturers and decided on this unit. Played around with it last night, and I am impresed. I'll (El-Oh-El) be more impressed once I can get Home to load (tried it on 2 different systems at the house) so that I can update maps, reg the unit, and start installing poi files ect.

Thanks for letting me participate here. Looking forward to receiving and passing on info, as I grow with my knowledge of this unit.

Hello and welcome all.

LemansGTI, the 1 Gig of memory is not extra space as it is already taken of by the maps. It is an inexpense unit but if you see yourself wanting more maps, POIs and more space, than another unit should fit your needs.

kr4drr, who is your ISP? I heard that a few Verizon DSL members are having trouble getting connected. Let us know if you can connect at work.

Good Luck.

Ask a Question