Newbie here w/740 Live

Bought a Go live 740 abot 2 weeks ago. Live services worked for about a week - now I get a "problem with tomtom server" error when I try to use Live services. What am I missing here? Do I need to go ahead and purchase the subscription now?

No need to purchase any services yet. 3 months are free with the purchase of your device. What is the exact message you are getting? Also, tap the satellite bars at the bottom of the map screen, then tap the application version number at the bottom right on the next screen. That should bring up a page with network status. What does it indicate?

One other thought, have you owned another TomTom device/ software prior to purchasing the 740? If so have you registered the 740 with a different e-mail address than the one associated with the prior device, if you reuse an old e-mail already associated with a different device it can cause all sorts of issues with your Live services - Mike

I think there are some problems with TT servers today. I have been having them. Resets do not work for me. I wonder if they released a new map or something.

BTW, TomTom has started charging live services from Amsterdam, requiring a foreign transaction fee on credit card payments. On top of that they are also charging "tax", altho it's unidentified as tax for what and to whom it's paid. If it's for Florida Sales Tax, it's bogus, as there are no sales taxes on services. Between the tax and foreign exchange, live services are costing about $12 a month. May be a good time to just cancel them. The nickel and dime charges are getting silly and services are not nearly as dependable as I would expect them to be. I'm not sure when they started the new charges, but I see it on this month's bill, and they're definitely new in the past couple of months..

Aha! Bitten by the 'screw Canada' bug! :eek:

It's more than likely a Value Added Tax of 20% and it is non refundable.

We Canadians have been forced to use Dutch servers for all our map purchases for years .... including getting nailed with the VAT.

Didn't you guys have a revolution or something once over taxes :)

Use a capital one card for payment. Capital one is the only major credit card that currently doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. That will at least reduce the costs a little.

I also noticed a PLUS outage during the evening of 11/2. Probably a worldwide server outage.

Makes me really happy that I got the $13 RDS-TMC antenna so I have a backup traffic services when Tomtom traffic has an outage.

Bought a Go live 740 abot 2 weeks ago. Live services worked for about a week - now I get a "problem with tomtom server" error when I try to use Live services. What am I missing here? Do I need to go ahead and purchase the subscription now?

We Canadians have been forced to use Dutch servers for all our map purchases for years .... including getting nailed with the VAT.

The exchange fee and tax are new. My guess is that the payments are now leaving the US rather than being paid into their Massachusetts-based US division, triggering the foreign exchange fee. "Taxes" are another additional fee that didn't appear until this month's bill. TomTom PR says "some" customers might be seeing this, and it's a known issue they are working on correcting. If my Live fees stay here in the States with their US operations, the exchange fee won't kick in. TomTom has created the problem. As such, "Live" services will now cost me closer to $13/mo. rather than the $9.95 TomTom indicates.

Hey folks,
sorry for being so tardy getting back w/a response. My TT was showing a TomTom server error and I had the little x'ed out phone icon in the lower left hand corner - like my gprs was not workng. I subscribed to live services since I was going to do that anyway and updated thru TT Home. Had it out on the road this week and it shows that the phone link is working. Still not showing any of the construction delays or accidents as of yet - "no info available" or some such.

Ask a Question