New XL 340S strange behavior

TomTom Model(s)
One 3rd Edition
I just upgraded my One 3rd Edition to an XL 340S (giving the One to my daughter).

I backed up the factory default configuration (using Windows Explorer), deleted the foreign voices to free up memory, then updated the app and maps (which was a pain in the butt; I had to use the process I found here for manually installing a map because Home was having problems with it). I then copied my itinerary files and color schemes from the One to the 340S. Lastly, I copied the file that contains the POI data (I can't remember the file name off the top of my head) from the One's map directory to the 340S's map directory.

Here's the problem. Whenever powering the 340S on, it stays at the splash screen (on mine, it's a close-up image of a glass building) for quite a long time (approx. 30 seconds), then reboots, scrolls the hard-drive activity line across the bottom of the screen, and starts up normally. Once it gets going, it performs as expected. But it does this sequence **every** time it powers up. If I'm in the middle of a trip and haven't reached my destination yet, it forgets what the destination was during this boot-up process, and I need to tell it where I'm going again.

I've tried the forced reboot process by holding down the power button for 10 seconds, and that didn't fix anything.

Any suggestions on what I should try next?

You could try copying the mapsettings.cfg file from your backup map folder to the new map folder.

Then connect the unit to Home, manage favourites and add one, remove one, edit one, doesn't matter. Disconnect the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect and restart and see if it boots faster.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "manage favourites and add one, remove one, edit one, doesn't matter". Are you saying that I'm going to have to rebuild my Favorites manually, one at a time? Ugh, I'm hoping to avoid that.

Is the mapsettings.cfg file from the One not compatible with the 340S? Is that why you're focusing your troubleshooting attention on that file?

It's not likely that the mapsettings.cfg from the one unit is compatible with a new unit.

But to be clear, you aren't trying to restore to the new unit anything you backed up from the previous one are you?

I replied based upon thinking you had backed up the new unit's contents before upgrading the map. And if that's the case, you could just use Home's emulator (Operate My Unit) to go to the preference of Manage Favourites and just make a change to one of them, that's all.

Another option..................
You can convert the contents of the mapsettings.cfg file to a custom ov2 file (many do this) and the custom ov2 file CAN be used on a different model and its map.

Here's how:
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras Forums-viewtopic-Converting "MapSettings.cfg" file

It's not likely that the mapsettings.cfg from the one unit is compatible with a new unit.

But to be clear, you aren't trying to restore to the new unit anything you backed up from the previous one are you?

I replied based upon thinking you had backed up the new unit's contents before upgrading the map. And if that's the case, you could just use Home's emulator (Operate My Unit) to go to the preference of Manage Favourites and just make a change to one of them, that's all.

Another option..................
You can convert the contents of the mapsettings.cfg file to a custom ov2 file (many do this) and the custom ov2 file CAN be used on a different model and its map.

Here's how:
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras Forums-viewtopic-Converting "MapSettings.cfg" file

I did copy the One's mapsettings.cfg file directly into the 340S's map directory, in an attempt to move my One's collection of Favorites to the 340S. But before I did any modifications to the 340S, I did make a Windows Explorer backup of its contents. So I have access to everything as it was when I first took it out of the box.

Please elaborate on what you mean when you say "you could just use Home's emulator (Operate My Unit) to go to the preference of Manage Favourites and just make a change to one of them, that's all." Are you suggesting that, by using Home to change a POI in the mapsettings.cfg file I copied from the One to the 340S, I will fix whatever issues exist in that file?

I'm try to see if the issue you first reported (slow booting) can be resolved.

What I'm trying to do is have you copy the mapsettings.cfg file from your backed up NEW unit's original map to the NEW unit's NEW map folder.

Doing so for many preserves Favourites they had created in the previous map.

But, for others, doing that process causes continual rebooting of the unit. So, to try to avoid that, a technique that often works is as I described:

After copying the mapsettings.cfg to the NEW unit's NEW map folder, then connecting the NEW unit to Home and running Home's emulator (Operate My Unit) and, on the computer using the emulator, just changing one favourite in Manage My Favourites usually resolves the rebotting problem.

That's what I wanted you to try...........

Are you suggesting that, by using Home to change a POI in the mapsettings.cfg file I copied from the One to the 340S, I will fix whatever issues exist in that file?
It is entirely possible that it will work, yes. It happens to us all the time when we update a unit, and the same problem will likely occur if you move a mapsettings.cfg file from one unit to another.

As DHN suggest, the mapsettings.cfg file may be compatible enough to use the procedure we use when this happens after an update:

Connect your TomTom and fire up Home. Go to the Operate My menu ... the emulator that allows you to operate your unit from your PC. Go to the Manage Favorites page and do something (anything) to modify your favorites. You can add a new one (even a bogus one), edit one that's there, or delete one. All of these things will force Home to re-write the file in the format it prefers for your unit. Disconnect your unit properly with Home when you're done. That may well allow you to use the old file.

If that doesn't fly, DHN offered another approach - to load your old mapsettings.cfg file into a 3rd party program with your PC (see his link) and convert your Favorites into a POI instead. The resulting OV2 file can be read by both your new and old units.

Problem solved

Well, my slow boot/reboot problem is solved. I connected the XL to my PC to perform the procedures described above. As usual, Home launched and searched to see what updates were available for my GPS. There was a new application offered, so I downloaded and installed it.

All fixed! And I am able to use the Favorites from my old One without any compatibility issues.

Ask a Question