New to the world of TomTom...With a problem

Hello all, My name is Al, and thought I should introduce myself and say hello.
I just bought my first TomTom device and it's giving me a bit of a problem. I have always used a handheld Garmin GPS and everything has went smoothly.
But...., I got a good deal on the Tomtom, and my Mom liked hers so I thought I would give the little dedicated car mount unit a try.

My model number come up as a "One IQ Routes TTS*/140S-2GB

My problem has been that it tells me that a newer map is available, but I can not seem to down load it. I tried to back-up and delete the one that was currently on the unit, and install the updated one via the tomtom software link.
When it finishes it says that it can't download the file, or that there is not enough room, or it's stored on my computer.
When I try to install (via checkbox) the updated map via my computer I am told it will not fit, and then my unit has no maps.
Is this an older unit and I am just stuck with it? or should I try to reach the manuf for help? Or, am I just doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance, for any and all suggestions.
Al

Welcome to TTF.

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents as it is right now. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Now, your downloaded updated map (boy are you a victim of bad timing, the 850 will be released any hour now) will be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

Use Explorer to ensure it is.

Then look at the information here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

and try that..........

Ask a Question