New to the TT Family

TomTom Model(s)
540tm xxl
Hello All,

Have a few ques. on my 540XXLTM.

My traffic meter on the right is there sometimes & not others? Only a few days old, bad already?

Every morning it take a long time to find sats. I'm used to garmin...

I installed a custom voice and love it (Karl,Slingblade) At first if I tapped to check vol level he would say a whole phrase, did this alot to show my friends. Now it only says one part of it

Last is about start & shut down images. I was finally able to get a start one to work but not a shut down one. Is there a place to select these or just when you download it to HOME it applies to device

Also my 4 yo garmin can find stuff the newest map on TT doesn't. I see more us maps that can be purchased. Are they more detailed versions than the standard oem map?

Thanks for any help!

My traffic meter on the right is there sometimes & not others? Only a few days old, bad already?
I assume you're using the "Live" version. How well that works will depend upon where you are vs. the cells that are within range, and whether the area you are in is covered by that service. Don't know where you are or where you've been, so can't say one way or the other. Also, if TTs servers aren't happy at a given moment, you won't have traffic then, either.
Every morning it take a long time to find sats. I'm used to garmin...
How long is "long"? Have you used TT Home to pick up recent ephemeris data (TomTom calls it QuickFix) for your unit? It's only good for about a week at a time. My TT always has lock in 30 seconds or less if I keep a good ephemeris table loaded.
I installed a custom voice and love it (Karl,Slingblade) At first if I tapped to check vol level he would say a whole phrase, did this alot to show my friends. Now it only says one part of it
No help there. Sorry.
Last is about start & shut down images. I was finally able to get a start one to work but not a shut down one. Is there a place to select these or just when you download it to HOME it applies to device
The startup screen is called splashw.bmp. The shutdown screen, if you have specified one, is probably still called antitheftw.bmp on the 540. Check the root directory of your TT and see if both of those files are there.
Also my 4 yo garmin can find stuff the newest map on TT doesn't. I see more us maps that can be purchased. Are they more detailed versions than the standard oem map?
No - there is no more detailed map for your 540 than what came with it. Your map should be at level 850 if you have the most recent either from the latest map guarantee (30 day thing after you first connect to TomTom's servers) or if you have purchased the subscription. They certainly added a few in my area -- perhaps yours as well.

But understand that for any given area in the country, Navteq (owned by Nokia, used by Garmin) may have more detail or more recent info, and in another area, Teleatlas (owned by TomTom) may have more detail or recent info. It's hard to know which is which until you actually do a side by side comparison in a given area.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help!

I use gps everyday do to my job. I timed it today and it took 4 minutes to find the sat. It was in my truck since yesterday, with nice view of the sky.

As far as the images, I do not see anywhere on the gps or on the Home program to set which one I want to use.

I guess I was fooled by TT where they say over 1 million more miles mapped. I figured it was larger coverage all over not hot spots.

Thanks again for the Help....I have found a lot of good info here!

Greg

Well, in Home, the way to get to Images is:

Add Traffic/Voices-->Next screen, Images-->Next screen, start up images.

The problem is this........

All the images available, I think, are either for 3.5" screens or the 'w' version for the (then) 4.3" screens.

I don't think any are available for the 5" screens.

okay.........just did a little research. (Have a 540 here).

The startup screens in the 540 appear to also be 480x272 pixels, the same as the 4.3" screens. So it seems these images are just stretched to fit the 540's screen size.

So, options:
1. Via Home as I explained above
2. Create your own. See here
Create Your Own Content Guide
3. Go to this site:
Splash screen generator for TomTom
and select a 720 (as it has the 4.3" screen). Upload your own image and download one ready to load into the root of your unt as splashw.bmp (notice the 'w')

For a shutdown image, you need to have 2 things:
1. The file called antitheftw.bmp
2. In safety preferences, CHECK 'Warn me NOT to leave device in vehicle'

Use Explorer to look at the contents of your unit. It will be in the root of the unit. (not in any folder).

Thanks for the help!

I use gps everyday do to my job. I timed it today and it took 4 minutes to find the sat. It was in my truck since yesterday, with nice view of the sky.
4 minutes is far too long for those of us with no patience ;). Using TomTom Home, you need to hook up to your PC and allow TomTom to send you the GPSQuickFix data I mentioned earlier. A good ephemeris table (description of what satellites are available where and when for the next week or so) can speed up acquisition a whole bunch.

I don't know if you have the trial (or a subscription) for Live services running, but I'll bet you can also grab the same ephemeris data directly over that link without connection to a PC if you hit the services menu. That was a standard feature on the older x20/x30 units when we did the same thing using our own cell phones.

I remember one of the updates from the 1st time I connected to Home showing GPSQuickFix. And strangely enough this morning it only took a few seconds.

I have the TM version so I believe I have lifetime maps and traffic. However I'm not sure where to select the services menu

Thanks, Greg

Ask a Question