New/removed features of the GO 1000

More info...
I haven't found a direct quote yet, but the announcement was made when TomTom held a 'Webinar' back in mid November 2010 regarding the 'missing features' from their new devices
this was the same event when they announced the user-POI feature that is currently being rolled out)

The statements made included

* Latest Map Guarantee and Speed cameras will be available towards end of the year
* 3rd party Points of Interest will be enabled by end January 2011
* Latest Map Guarantee – extended from 30 to 90 days for the GO 100x and Via ranges
* Itinerary Planning will be available in Q2 2011, as part of a scheduled feature release

Whilst some of the dates have been missed, there has been no indication they are reneging on any of these promises.

More info...
I haven't found a direct quote yet, but the announcement was made when TomTom held a 'Webinar' back in mid November 2010 regarding the 'missing features' from their new devices
this was the same event when they announced the user-POI feature that is currently being rolled out)

The statements made included

* Latest Map Guarantee and Speed cameras will be available towards end of the year
* 3rd party Points of Interest will be enabled by end January 2011
* Latest Map Guarantee ? extended from 30 to 90 days for the GO 100x and Via ranges
* Itinerary Planning will be available in Q2 2011, as part of a scheduled feature release

Whilst some of the dates have been missed, there has been no indication they are reneging on any of these promises.

Thanks for that. Let me know if you find the quote and I'll send it back to customer support.

You might have to make do with that...
If it was only said in a live webcast, it might not have been written down except by the people who heard it.

hopefully I'm wrong and someone can come up with a written statement.

I'm certainly depending on it.
If Itinerary planning DOESN'T come to these models that's the last straw as far as I'm concerned. :mad:

Here you go Andy. I'm a packrat :

"In September 2010, TomTom committed to keeping users informed about the latest developments within ‘MyTomTom’ - TomTom’s new online interface. This update is part of that promise.

Features updates:
-> Latest Map Guarantee and Speed cameras will be available towards end of the year.
-> 3rd party Points of Interest will be enabled by end January 2011.
-> Latest Map Guarantee – extended from normal 30 days to 90 days for the GO 1000 series and Via ranges.
-> Itinerary Planning will be available in Q2 2011, as part of a scheduled feature release.

We know that there are a lot of passionate users of our products and businesses’ using our file formats and we greatly value their feedback, directly and also online via the forums. We are actively listening - and addressing - all productive views and comments where feasible.

Today we want to give more detail about our promise to enable 3rd party POI support. We are now able to communicate that we will put-in-place a web-browser based solution, served by the PND, for management of 3rd party POI content. Our goal is to have this offering in place by end January 2011.

In the future, we are planning to go further by making available easy editing and exporting tools for POIs and other kinds of content used on our devices.

TomTom is keen to continue to maintain productive dialogue (and exchanges) with the forum world via recurrent webinars if there is a need."

With the recent custom POI addition to those owners fortunate enough to receive an update to enable this functionality (even if it is late compared TomTom's own schedule).

Look at what they have delivered, a "borked" system where you have to add each and every file one at a time to the device, and no ogg vorbis custom warning sound support. The implementation of third party POI support is on a par with that employed by Navman some five years ago with the early icn range and I never thought much of that but it worked better than "MyTomTom" as atleast it was capable of associating an icon file with the data file and loading both in one go.

Take the custom POI installation via MyTomTom as an example and next they will be releasing Itinerary planning support where you have to add each location on a trip in a "one at a time" fashion.

They need to wake up and resolve the issues with "MyTomTom" rather than hide behind a phased release of capability. My own take on this phased release, is that they are running scared. Drip feeding updates to enable custom POI support means they can minimise the number of units that get bricked and have to be returned at their cost, due to the fragility of the addopted system in the open market.

If you disagree with this view (which is entirely my own) ask yourself why they withdrew the map update back in December, we only got sight of a few users posting their devices were bricked on the public forums and the update vanished, I would love to know the true number of hardware returns due to inadequate software - Mike

GO 1000 etc

It's pretty amazing in my view that so many people are such die hard fans of the company. It's only a $400 item here in Australia, and interests me why I don't just replace it with a Garmin unit. Effectivly TT marketed and sold a product that did not and months later has not matched its advertising and printed on box capabilities. My TT downloaded some sort of update to the My TT software last night, but I have no idea what it was for.
I purchased the GO1000 because it was marketed as the next big thing to replace my 900 series machine which has been great (except for the mounting system).
This is my third TT but I believe it will also be my last due to this farse and the poor customer service model. I travel the world with work and can't even update my map for Australia where I live!

Best wishes everyone.

Ken.

Most people have chosen Tomtoms over Garmins in the past have done so due to the superior routing, better customization, and lower price points.

In recent years, Tomtom has reduced customization and Garmin has increased customization, to the point where you're better off buying a high-end Garmin if you want to extensively customize your GPS.

Tomtom still is heads and shoulders above all competition in routing. Many customers (like me) continue to put up with Tomtom's issues, because the routing is so good. Garmin has finally began to make attempts to catch up on routing, so Tomtom's lead could diminish quickly in the coming months.

Tomtom's street prices tend to be noticeably cheaper than Garmin for similar models, and that doesn't show much sign of changing.

This is the original timeline, in German I'm afraid:
ps2010112101.jpg

Radarkameras = safety cams
POIs von Drittherstellern = custom POI's
Erweiterte Routenplanung = advanced itinerary planning

Oskar

The new GO 2505 App 10.110 now has a "Battery Saving" configuration option to shut off when disconnected from a power source, i.e. shut off your car.

- Settings, Battery saving.
- "Device stays on when external power is lost"

The device powers down in 10 seconds unless you select "Cancel".

Didn't it always have that?
My Go1000 has had that option since new, as has every other TomTom model I've owned (although it used to be presented "the other way round" - the question was worded "Device switches off when external power is lost" {tick} ....much more sensible wording, IMO

Didn't it always have that?
My Go1000 has had that option since new, as has every other TomTom model I've owned (although it used to be presented "the other way round" - the question was worded "Device switches off when external power is lost" {tick} ....much more sensible wording, IMO

I don't remember seeing it before, could be my mistake, sorry.

No need to be sorry, mate.
It's easy to lose things in the menus and TT have an annoying habit of putting things in different menus on different models.

I've never got to handle a 1005, so I've only been going on other people's reports that it is the same menu structure as my 1000 (apart from screen size, of course).

On our side of the pond, the GO 2xxx models have the "easymenu". Same feature set as the 1xxx models (other than LIVE services), but all the settings are in different places.

On our side of the pond, the GO 2xxx models have the "easymenu". Same feature set as the 1xxx models (other than LIVE services), but all the settings are in different places.

Damn that "easymenu"!
Who's STUPID idea was it?

Itinerary Planning Update

Spoke to someone at TomTom on the phone and he confirmed that TomTom will get the Itinerary planning sometime this year.

Ask a Question