Help! Tomtom One XL, removed map cant get it back!

Well today i got my uncles tomtom to upgrade it, first time i have ever held a tomtom, so here is what i did, installed tomtom home, went and found one upgrade, it was 888mb western europe, and i finally downloaded it and somehow it didnt want to get installed so i thought hey its not enough memory so i removed the existing Western_Europe_1GB, didnt work either, lucky me i saved the Western_Europe_1GB before i removed it, so i thought never mind il install the old map back and il go to the extras feaure and try to install it, but all i get is " Copy" and when it reaches " Copy: Cline.Dat" it gets stuck and i get an error,

"ERROR: HomeBase/IO: Error writing file: M:\Western_Europe_1GB\cline.dat
@ .\portable\cfile.cpp(1947)
000003EE
in .\portable\cfile.cpp:1947
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:82
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1058
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Sun, 02 May 2010 01:08:20 GMT"

Please help me he will travel back to norway tomorow and he cant use his tomtom when no maps are in it...
I trust you guys to help me, Keep in mind i have no clue of whatsoever about tomtom phrases so be as specific as possible, Thank you !!

How do i make an explorer back-up? and thanks for the help DHN!

EDIT1
Okay, I did as the guide said, i extracted the saved file from before to the current folder named Western_Europe_1gig something.... and is not extracting and i winrar asked me if i wanted to replace files and i said yes, but what should i do with the .toc file? and there is no activation.cab i guess that there already is in there somewhere since i had this file before.

EDIT 2 And is it supposed to take 45min to extract it ?

Last edited:
If you downloaded the updated map, there SHOULD be within the compressed .map zip file, not only a cab file for the map but a further compressed file called activationxxxx.cab. In it should be the meta.dct file that MUST go in the map folder on the unit for the map to be recognized by the application.

So, within the map folder, something like Western_Europe, you should be seeing a Western_Europe.zip file, an activation_map.cab file a couple of meaningless .gif files and a .toc file which is nothing more than a description of the map file and doesn't have to be installed.

Well right now i am installing the first map there was in the tom tom that i removed, but before i removed it i saved it onto my computer, so i am extracting that map only at the moment, and when i saved that map unfortanetly there was no activation saved along when i saved it from tomtom home

DHN, If i could give you a kiss i would kiss you for 5 hours, thats how long it took me to understand this piece of machine, So i thank you, I dont know how i would do this without you (L), I am really glad for this forum and it's members, I will tell all my friends about this site/forum! Thank you again!!!!

Well it seems that, "The activation" problem came now, but i dont have the activation anywhere, is there possible to get it from somewhere manually?

If you truly cannot see an activation.cab file in the compressed file, then the download was faulty.

If you go here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\ and rename it to
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\DownloadsOLD then you should get offered all the updates again, including the compressed map. Try it.

Ask a Question