NEW MEMBER help needed w/ 730 satellite issue

Just recently bought a refurb 730. I did ALL the tomTom Home updates and got the latest N. America maps and navcore 8.3.

My problem is that sometimes the unit simply does not get the satellite fix for 5 - 10 minutes, even when out in the clear open sky. It seems to be able to get 2 or 3 sattelites but not enough to fix location.

BIG QUESTION: Is this a known bug with 8.3 or is my unit defective?
If its a defect I only have 5 or so more days to return to store it without having to deal with tomtom....

Thanks for help!:rolleyes:

Try downloadnig QuickGPSfix again. It had a bug over the weekend and tomtom released a new version on Sunday. QuickGPSfix has to be downloaded at least once a week to prevent the satellite lock delay.

Are you being offerred QuickGPSfix at least weekly from tomtom home?

If you're downloading a new version weekly or more frequently, and are still having satellite lock issues (excluding this weekend), then you probably should return your device.

Just recently bought a refurb 730. I did ALL the tomTom Home updates and got the latest N. America maps and navcore 8.3.

My problem is that sometimes the unit simply does not get the satellite fix for 5 - 10 minutes, even when out in the clear open sky. It seems to be able to get 2 or 3 sattelites but not enough to fix location.

BIG QUESTION: Is this a known bug with 8.3 or is my unit defective?
If its a defect I only have 5 or so more days to return to store it without having to deal with tomtom....

Thanks for help!:rolleyes:

rename the /ephem directory to /ephem.delete and do not use the quickgpsfix update for a couple of days ;)

--pilsit

Just have experienced the same problem with a tt730. I've been using it for months and it just seemed slow (5-10 minutes) before acquiring satellites. I thought it was the roads having too many trees but I'm back home now and I'm still having the same problem.
I've read the comment on quickgpsfix and I just updated but I don't know if it updated quickgpsfix or not. When I do an update, it says none available. How can I force it to do a quickgps fix update?

In this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ephemeris, delete all the folders you see in it (they each will be called Quickgpsfix something).

Now, use Explorer to delete the contents of your ephem folder on your unit. Then connect the unit and start Home. You should be offered a new file as an update.

Ask a Question