New 910 user

TomTom Model(s)
Hi all

I have found this site extremely useful for a 910 user. As a long time gps user and and even longer time Mac user I have waited for Garmin to make their gps mac friendly. Finally decided to give up on them. I would be interested in what you think of what I recently posted on the MacMaps Yahoo group.
--------
I have been a Mac user from the very first Mac model and a Garmin user since getting a GPSIII+, then a StreetPilot Colormap and finally a StreetPilot III. I was considering getting a Garmin 2720 but have now given up waiting for Garmin to port their software to the Mac and have just bought a TomTom 910. I thought this group might be interested in my observations concerning the 910 compared to the Garmin StreetPilot III (admittedly out of date-but it does autoroute and has voice directions) and the 2720.

IMHO

The Garmin has three major advantages over the TomTom:

1. A brighter screen.
2. A poi database that has subcategories (e.g., types of restaurants and kinds of shops).
3. You can use MapSource as a mapping program on your pc.

The TomToms advantages over the Garmin are:

1. Mac compatible. The TomTom Home software runs on Mac and the 910 20 GB hard drive mounts on the Mac just as any other external hard drive does. The TomTom Home applications integrates with iTiunes and iPhoto. Custom POIs do need any special software to load on to the TomTom

2. The open architecture of the TomTom allows third party applications to run on the 910 itself.As an example, among other things Tripmaster http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/tripmaster.php?lang=uk) can save and unlimited number of tracks in the following formats:

? Itn : reusable format directly as a route in Tomtom
? Csv : importable format in Excel
? Kml : format for immediate importation in Google Earth
? Gpx : interchange format between various GPS
? Poi : as Points Of Interests, that may be re-used in Tomtom application

3. Maps of western europe.

4. SiRF gps chip set. Easily gets fix inside most buildings.

5. Internal rechargeable batteries and internal speaker. For a short trip you can just grab it and go with out any dangling wires.

6. A FM transmitter mount ($50) that lets the TomTom use your car radio.

7. A iPod connection kit (~$20) that lets you control your iPod from the TomTom touch screen.

8. An active North American TomTom group that has many Mac users. https://www.tomtomforums.com/

I have a 910, and have never been happy with the screen brightness. It is an old unit as of this date,and the newer 20 and 30 numbered units may have brighter screens (also larger). They are also not a semi-brick like the 910.

I assume you got a good deal on it rather then going with the newer units, as the 901 is not going to be able to receive the new features on and/or coming to the newer units.

Ask a Question