Navcore 9.4 wont permanently disable voice

TomTom Model(s)
Go730
I have a GO730, which I recently updated to Navcore 9.4 through the Home application. I tend to get irritated by voice instructions and so turn them off, but since the update my device wont keep the setting. Every time I turn it on, I am asked which voice I would like to use before I can do anything else. So I select a computer voice and then go through setting voice preferences, then go and disable the voice again. Alas, I will have to go through the same process the very next time I turn it on. Has anyone else had a similar problem post 9.4 update or knows what the issue is and how to fix it?

Stefan

Yes I had tried the reset and it made no difference. I'll have a go at the clear flash tool over the weekend and report back.

Thanks for the quick response

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

how about getting a "no-voice"-file via TT Home? That would turn off the voice for all announcements but leave on the warning sounds. Also if selecting that voice you wouldn't have to deactivate all the settings again.

At least for my XL LIVE IQR I can get such a voice for free via the TT Home application.

Regards
Lars.

So, I've tried the clear flash tool. Turns out that wasn't the silver bullet I was hoping for. Since then I've reinstalled the old and new Navcore applications several times and so far the problem persists with the new one. I'm running out of ideas at the moment...

Ah, failed to check the forum before starting the whole process, and then missed Lupus's post when posting my last reply :embarassed:. Seeing that would have saved me a lot of time...

Thanks very much for the suggestion, I'm happy again now.

Stefan

I think you'll find that Lars is full of good ideas, Stefan. We're glad to have him here (finally)!

I have the same problem with my GO 730. I have persisted with TT support, they have gone away to investigate further. I suspect that we will be stuck with this problem until the next update. In the mean time I suppose I will have to take the advice of LUPOS, and download a silent voice.

Every time I turn it on, I am asked which voice I would like to use before I can do anything else.
Our primary clue is the problem you mention above. Your configuration file is either corrupted or cannot be rewritten for some reason.

Here's what I'd like you to do. Save your mapsettings.cfg file (it's in your map folder) off to a safe spot on your PC. Then perform a Factory Reset (not the sort done with the hole in the bottom of the unit, the kind done from the menu system). With luck, that should wipe out any knowledge of your existing configuration preferences.

Now, cycle power on your unit and don't be surprised if it asks for some details from you again, including a voice preference.

Now, turn the unit off and on again. Does it cease asking about the voice?

Every time I turn it on, I am asked which voice I would like to use before I can do anything else.
Our primary clue is the problem you mention above. Your configuration file is either corrupted or cannot be rewritten for some reason.

Here's what I'd like you to do. Save your mapsettings.cfg file (it's in your map folder) off to a safe spot on your PC. Then perform a Factory Reset (not the sort done with the hole in the bottom of the unit, the kind done from the menu system). With luck, that should wipe out any knowledge of your existing configuration preferences.

Now, cycle power on your unit and don't be surprised if it asks for some details from you again, including a voice preference.

Now, turn the unit off and on again. Does it cease asking about the voice?

I have the same problem with my Go 930 after the latest update and this did not solve it. It is most frustrating...

I have the same problem with my Go 930 after the latest update and this did not solve it. It is most frustrating...
Are you saying that your unit ALSO asks you to select a voice every time you power it on? That should never happen unless the user's configuration data is a problem.

Are you saying that your unit ALSO asks you to select a voice every time you power it on? That should never happen unless the user's configuration data is a problem.

Sorry, I was unclear. The factory reset fixed the problem with respect to being asked to select a voice, but the option to turn the voice off will not stay selected.

Hi,

what happens if you select a voice and afterwards turn the device off and back on again? Do you still get asked to select a voice? If you don't get asked about selecting a voice any more you may try what I recommended previously. Just get yourself a "no-voice" voice and activate that one. Having done that you'll still get the alerts but won't get routing information being spoken any more.

Regards
Lars.

Ask a Question