NavCore 8.010 is Out

Well, I just upgraded from 7.166 to 8.010.

What type of device do you have?

Do you use a custom menu, and does it still work as expected?

Do 3rd party apps still work, esp TripMaster?

Doesn't seem to be a good reason to upgrade for the x20 devices

Last edited:
I just got the new update as well. After restarting the device and reconnecting the HOME software showed my unit as an XL ONE. The device itself indicates ONE 3rd Edition. I noticed options to change the vehicle icon but it doesn't really change. Downloading a new image for startup screen gets error that it's not for my device. The compass is now a tiny arrow at the bottom left of the screen. No way to modify it.
One other item I noticed is that it seems to 'see' more satellites. The most it saw before was 9, after the update it sees 10.

What type of device do you have?

Do you use a custom menu, and does it still work as expected?

Do 3rd party apps still work, esp TripMaster?

Doesn't seem to be a good reason to upgrade for the x20 devices
I have a ONE 3rd edition. The version page now reads:
App 8.010 (9369/080529) OS: 190943
32 MB RAM (free: 3.4 MB)
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5001
Map: 'USA_and_Canada' v720.1802

The only third-party apps I'm running are: MenuTT, Suntime, SplashBack, & the Calculator. Suntime auto-started after the upgrade. But failed to revert to the day colors, when I forced it to use night scheme. This was attempted indoors, so more testing is needed.

SplashBack works fine, as does the calculator. MenuTT took considerably longer than usual to restart the unit, but it reverted to the default menu as expected. It took a while to switch back, but did.

My custom menus survived the upgrade, as did my startup/shutdown screens & car icon (both were unsupported mods, previously).

TomTom Home required an update to operate the device while attached. This download failed on the first attempt, but installed on the second.

Some noted changes:
The unit seems to spend a LOT more time at the splash screen, when first starting up.

The 'Show Compass' preference was reset to "off." The compass itself appears to be ignoring (or incapable of displaying) its own 'Arrow Showing Your Direction' preference. I don't like the minimalistic look of this new compass.

The main menu has a 'TomTom Services' icon, which I don't remember seeing before (I normally use a custom menu). Its sub-menu includes icons for Traffic, Weather, Safety Cameras, Fuel Prices, My Services, & Buddies.
(Hey Birdman, can we add this one to the customs?)

The Map Corrections sub-menu has two new icons: 'Change Turn Directions' & 'Change Road Speed'

Most of the default icons have changed. They're all rough black & white images. No more crossed knife & fork for restaurants. Maybe this was an attempt to make them more distinguishable..?

I need to put the upgrade through its paces. I'll post more changes, later...

R?

thanks!

The Map Corrections sub-menu has two new icons: 'Change Turn Directions' & 'Change Road Speed'

that sounds like a big step in the right direction! Might help the terrible ETA's we all get

Most of the default icons have changed. They're all rough black & white images. No more crossed knife & fork for restaurants. Maybe this was an attempt to make them more distinguishable..?

custom poi icons still work i assume?

thanks!

custom poi icons still work i assume?
Yes. They're unchanged. I can't tell if they've added any more of their custom icons to the built-in POIs--I'll have to drive around some more, but I haven't noticed any removals, either. For example, the McDonald's POI near my house still has their red&yellow "M" icon, which appeared with a NavCore 7 update.

There don't appear to be any changes to custom (3rd-party) POI content.

I also noticed that behind the "Brightness" & the "Battery Saving" pref screens, there's a third screen with a single option to:

Switch off when external power is lost []

The new "Change Car Icon" preference picked up all of the custom arrows & car images that I added a while back. So, it uses the same directory structure that the modders have been detailing. The only minor drawback is that it's not in my custom menu (I couldn't find this one in the 6.0 SDK...).

R?

Does anyone know if this update is for V3 and up? I'm usin V2 and it does not find update?

Thanks

lol..I will just answer my own question. Looking at some of the other forums I guess for older versions it may be released at a later date if at all!
Also I guess alot of people are complaining about the compass. It only shows N!

The main menu has a 'TomTom Services' icon, which I don't remember seeing before (I normally use a custom menu). Its sub-menu includes icons for Traffic, Weather, Safety Cameras, Fuel Prices, My Services, & Buddies.
(Hey Birdman, can we add this one to the customs?)

I'll need to investigate, but I suspect it'll be the same at the V7 added icons (Map Share, etc) and won't be able to be added.

I'll need to investigate, but I suspect it'll be the same at the V7 added icons (Map Share, etc) and won't be able to be added.
That's what I was thinking. I have the 6.0 SDK docs & some of the sub-menu items are listed (Weather, Traffic, etc.).

Maybe if I got busy & tried a whole bunch of "likely name combinations" or something... Actually, I'd be really happy if we could find the Change Car Icon -icon. ;)

Suntime works, BTW, including the auto-start daemon. I just had to get the unit outside, where it could talk to the sat's.

R?

Not sure about NavCore 8.010

Did what I thought was a routine update today. Cannot stand the new look of the compass plus driving east indicates going west and vice versa and essentially all compass features are gone! Guess I cannot go back to the previous version. Pretty much sucks!

Suntime crashing

suntime 1.7 does not work after the update for me. Anyone else experience this?

Did what I thought was a routine update today. Cannot stand the new look of the compass plus driving east indicates going west and vice versa and essentially all compass features are gone! Guess I cannot go back to the previous version. Pretty much sucks!

There is a setting that can be applied to the status bar that will show the direction and degrees (eg, NW 275). I agree it isn't as good as the compass in N7 but better than the crappy pointer of N8, I suppose.

There is a setting that can be applied to the status bar that will show the direction and degrees (eg, NW 275). I agree it isn't as good as the compass in N7 but better than the crappy pointer of N8, I suppose.
That's the work-around I'm using, but it bumped MPH/KPH display to the center. :(

R?

Suntime 1.7 doesn't have any icon in any menu but it can be used by setting it up via deamon & config.txt file. I would really like to be able to use the built in configuration rather than having to hook it up to the computer just to change a setting in the config.txt file. Any help would be appreciated.

8.010 just blows!

I gave 8.010 a shot for a couple of weeks, but hated it so much, with the loss of my HUGE "compass preferences" display, with heading and degrees, along with the crappy black & white Atari 2600 8-bit (If even that) POI icons, and rolled back to App v7.167, which I thankfully had on "Items on my computer", in tomtom home, to roll back to.

Whew! All is good again, and I don't use any 3rd party Apps on my XL-S. I have the compass back, along with multi-colored POI icons again, plus I can live without the "car icon" to replace the blue arrow...Big Whoop!

Still missing most of the original device sounds (like drums and beeps for icon touches or the zoom level clicker thingy on "browse map"), but no biggy, as long as I have Susan and all of my favs still in there. :D

App v7.167, OS: 2330, GPS v1.21, Boot 5.3013, Map USA_and_Canada v715.1712

Last edited:

Ask a Question