n00b question regarding adding/removing stuff from One 3rd ed. using Home

TomTom Model(s)
One Third Edition
okay, so I'm perplexed... I bought the One 3rd ed. this past weekend, and I'm dying to put some new voices on it...

After a long and complex process that required me to install an old version of HOME and then let it update itself, it seems that HOME doesn't work right for my machine. When I click the button for "See what's on my TomTom", first it showed the map as taking up something like 800+ mb, then later times that I tried it, either doesn't list the map, or it shows nothing and says "No items found."

When I tried to download voices, it said there was no space on the machine. Fine, I understand, this one has no card slot so you have to work with the memory that's there. But when I went to remove the French voices, it wouldn't let me, saying something about the files being incomplete. So I can't put any new ones on.

Finally, when I tried to back up the unit to my hard drive, I got an error right away. (Guess I shoulda checked to see exactly what the error message was, huh? oops. i was kinda frustrated and just closed HOME.)

So far, the GPS works perfectly on the road, but HOME has done pretty much NOTHING that I wanted it to do. Am I missing something? Will version 1.6 work for me? I'm pretty sure it's still available on the TomTom site...

or is it possible to just add/remove stuff using Windows Explorer?

thanks in advance from a noob who really wants to like TomTom...

--rick

You do need Home for the installation of maps & mapshare fixes if your model has that feature.

You may try rolling back your Home version and retrying.

You can back up your unit using Explorer. Just drag and drop the contents of the TomTom to a folder on your hard drive. Once you have a safe copy made, you can mess around with stuff.

The Home program is an ongoing exercise in frustration. I really never use it. However, for your voices, it is perhaps the only way.

So I would delete the current version you have and reinstall the earlier version from the disk. Don't let it update and see if it works better that way.

You may try rolling back your Home version and retrying.

You can back up your unit using Explorer. Just drag and drop the contents of the TomTom to a folder on your hard drive. Once you have a safe copy made, you can mess around with stuff.

The Home program is an ongoing exercise in frustration. I really never use it. However, for your voices, it is perhaps the only way.

So I would delete the current version you have and reinstall the earlier version from the disk. Don't let it update and see if it works better that way.

Version 2.2 didn't give me a choice, it automatically updated to 2.5 the first time it ran. Will going back as far as 1.6 work? Because I know I can get it and I actually had it installed, but before I tried hooking the unit up to it, I found the post about 2.2, and I was afraid 1.6 would somehow mess the unit up...
(edit: oh, and there is no disk with this. you plug the device into the PC and it downloads from there. that was part of my FIRST problem, and it appears to be due to the fact that I don't have MS .NET installed...)

And i guess you can't just drop a voice file in the folder using Explorer?

thanks for all your help, I will start a backup using Explorer...

--rick

Last edited:
I remeber seeing recently a pst by someone who said .msnet MUST be installed for Home to run properly. I'm sorry I don't have a link to get it but I guess if you go to microsoft.com and search for .net, you'll find a link.

I remeber seeing recently a pst by someone who said .msnet MUST be installed for Home to run properly. I'm sorry I don't have a link to get it but I guess if you go to microsoft.com and search for .net, you'll find a link.

ahhhh... not just to get it installed, but to get it to run properly? maybe I gotta go do that now... thx!

--rick

once again, the forums (and dhn in particular) came through! installed .NET, and now HOME was able to perform a backup and install a few voices.

apparently, there is really about 100 mb of memory left of the 1 gig on the One V3 when you buy it... i didn't have to remove anything and HOME told me there was 98 or so MB available. however, the TomTom standard voice of Kathy wouldn't install properly... is it possible that could have something to do with one of the "community"-generated voices I installed? i mean, i was a little concerned about installing non TomTom stuff... is the community stuff generally safe? or could it cause errors and such?

--rick

Glad you got things sorted.

Good question about ANY non-TomTom files that are available. Who knows the quality of such item until it is tried.

Ask a Question