tomtom n00b here, need advice please

Hello all, a lot of txt here but please bear with me. Im a first time tomtom user, I bought a used tomtom a couple days ago and have fiddled around with it a bit but stay slightly disapointed. Ive noticed a few apps/addons, such as vid players, mp3 players and what not, but is there anything that is more usefull than that?

Also, I dl'ed tomtom home and did just about every free update that seems like it mattered. I dont know if its the version of maps I'm using or the version of the app but, basically, I think this thing is smoking crack because my 10 years old daughter gives better directions.

For instance, I have a friend that lives roughly 45 miles from me. I've been traveling back and forth to his house for over a year now and have tried 4 different routes to find the easiest/quickest way possible and have gotten the most logical route down to 45 miles over 1hr 10minutes. When using my tomtom, just cause its new to me and why not, even if I choose to find an alternative route a few times my tomtom nags me to turn this 45 mile trip into a 60 miles trip that'll add 30 minutes to my drive!

Honestly the only reason I haven't returned this unit is because I bought it from a pawn shop and have already exceeded the one day return policy. I feel like there has to be a better app or map version that will work better for my area which is basicaly Texas, around and south of Houston. My tomtom shows all the roads correctly, except recent construction, but just gives crappy directions. Also, the POI pool for my area is somewhat lacking.

Im not sure exactly what type/version tomtom I have. The S/N is PB42xxxxxxxB if it helps and Ive added a pic of its info listed under version just in case it will help. Ive been hacking portable gaming systems for years but this little monster is a beast of its own.

Can someone please give me any helpful links, apps, ideas, addons or anything that will help fix the routing issues and maybe change my growing resentment for my new found tomtom. I dont wanna feel like I wasted $60 US Dollars for a bulky, but loud, touch-screen MP3 player...

TOMTOMSCREENSHOT.jpg

The map installed to your device is well over 2 years old, possibly even three or more! - Maps don't update for free they cost money and are purchased using TomTom Home - To be honest a new device comes with a free undate to the latest maps, add the price you have paid for the secondhand device and the cost of a new map and you would be cheaper purchasing a new unit - Mike

Thanks, I'll let ya know how it goes after a new map.

That should fix the routing issues. No suggestions for any usefull or interesting addons though?

EDIT: Ok, the map is updated. No longer has a crack addiction LOL

Last edited:

Ask a Question