Mystery TomTom GPS unit hits FCC

I understand that fiber optic may not be necessary or better than traditional copper wires. Just that most car's Audio or Command center is more than just radio/audio anymore. It also display speed sensing volume control, trip computer, engine information, which also link to instrument cluster and steering wheel.

Even w/ Honda, I am sure once replace OEM head unit, the steering wheel control will no longer "workable", right?

If TomTom Duo is going to introduce as "after-market" replacement, it might become the nightmare for marketing strategy. Auto manufacture has purposly design and monopolized its own "replacement" product.

I am absolutely sure Duo is a wonderful product, however, great gadget may not always survived, right?

Having recently shopped around to most auto manufacturers that import (or are made) in the USA, I would say that 100% of the vehicles I looked at (to include Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus, Volvo, Nissan, and Infinity) had these multifunction displays elsewhere (not in the audio head unit), usually in the instrument cluster in front of the driver or in an overhead console. Now, the majority of vehicles that did have a a GPS Nav option installed had merged all their multifunctional displays into the nav screen, including the trip computer, audio/video controls, and even climate control settings (which I feel is VERY stupid). So, if you don't get the OEM nav system (which is why you would likely want the TomTom Duo), then you'll likely not have too many problems with installation and functionality.

There are aftermarket adapters/converters that allow you to use the steering wheel audio controls with most popular aftermarket head units. I know I can get them for both my Toyota and my Honda, especially ones for the Eclipse brand.

Personally, I think such an aftermarket portable Nav with dash mount docking has been needed for a LONG time now. I can't believe it's taken this long to put something like that out. I was getting tempted to sacrifice one of the center console air vents to install a blank box to allow for installing my TomTom GO700 in-dash in a similar manner as the TomTom Duo. They have had similarly docking MP3 players, satellite radio receivers, and even CD decks that can be removed and converted to portable for at least 5 years now. I can't believe it's taken this long to get a nav unit that does the same thing.

Personally, I think such an aftermarket portable Nav with dash mount docking has been needed for a LONG time now. I can't believe it's taken this long to put something like that out. I was getting tempted to sacrifice one of the center console air vents to install a blank box to allow for installing my TomTom GO700 in-dash in a similar manner as the TomTom Duo. They have had similarly docking MP3 players, satellite radio receivers, and even CD decks that can be removed and converted to portable for at least 5 years now. I can't believe it's taken this long to get a nav unit that does the same thing.

I can see you are extremely excited about this Duo. Again, I have no doubt it is a great item. What I trying to compare is consumer spending power and initial purchasing desire. I also concern the functionality and product effectiveness.

Here is just some major point comes up of my head...

1. How much is it? And how it compare to OEM option?
2. Under after market replacement, who are the competitors? What are the "Duo" advantage and disadvantage. ( ex: Pioneer off DVD/VCD/Mp3/WMA w/ larger retractable screen and vs Duo's? )
3. Does initial depreciate justified the cost? ( installation fee and hardware adaptor )
4. Customer support, Product support length?
5. Warranty repair. (ex: W/ Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, any circuit change including after-mareket radio, GPS within the vehicle void its warranty on any ANY electrical parts.)

I am not sure how they obtain their marketing research. But if "portable" is the key selling point, then I assume they should improve their existing product on TT1, TT1 XL. Competitors aren't just those GPS makers, Cell phone industry has start offering hand set GPS service Unlimited usage for $9Month fee, such as Cingular Nokia E62.

Either way...only time can tell.. :)
________
Laguna Heights Condominium Pattaya

Last edited:

Ask a Question