Mystery TomTom GPS unit hits FCC

Hmmm, interesting. But first thing that comes to mind is what they announced last month at CES. Here's a pic of that:

tomtomoff_450.jpg

In any case, I'm excited about new product announcements that are imminent next month at CeBIT!

good to see some pics of the mystery model.
I kinda like the new docking idea...
but then again, i don't want to spend so much $$ on docking station...

What I really want to see is a TT one mount with power...

If that's the docking station, then it's probably a media center with a FM Tuner, CD Player, large hard-drive to hold all your mp3's, photos, and some movies as well.

There's no mystery about it. In Germany they call it TomTom DUO. Here you find
the manual (provisionally version)
pictures from inside
Oskar

Thanks for that but it's still a mystery, considering we're in a Tomtom USA forum, and there is no DUO on tomtom's website, even under Deutschland. I'm more interested in seeing the dock, especially since the "manual" didn't mention the dock as "in the box". Also, it seems to me that the diagram of the dock would be drawn to match proportionately to the photo posted by fanchee. Maybe this tomtom has multiple docking options depending on how much you want to spend for the dock.

Thanks for that but it's still a mystery, considering we're in a Tomtom USA forum, and there is no DUO on tomtom's website, even under Deutschland.
No it's not 'cause
  • TT is an european company and its main marketplace is Europe.
  • New models are usually launched at the >>CeBIT<< in Hannover.
Oskar

Thanks for that but it's still a mystery, considering we're in a Tomtom USA forum, and there is no DUO on tomtom's website, even under Deutschland.
Have a look at >>>that<<< and you will see that all the mystery is gone in a sudden and finally. :)
Oskar

Edit: What the hell have the US of A done to get it in front of us europeans? Left the Iraq five minutes ago??

Last edited:
I wonder how much is it.
Also, correct me if I am wrong. Aren't most car nowadays equip w/ proprietary audio/ video unit, virtually impossible to upgrade to after-market headunit w/out total rewire to bypass fiber optic cable, amp, etc?
Not to mention no space for 2-din Duo?
________
The Cliff Condominiums Pattaya

Last edited:
Have a look at >>>that<<< and you will see that all the mystery is gone in a sudden and finally. :)
Oskar

Edit: What the hell have the US of A done to get it in front of us europeans? Left the Iraq five minutes ago??

What the hell are you talking bout, or should I say about what are u talking? I could care less that tomtom is a European company, my point to you was that you were being a smart-ass replying to the original posters thread with your comment saying "There's No mystery about it in Germany it's called DUO", so I simply pointed out (see VERRRY top of your page) that this is a TomTom USA community, so to us it was a mystery. So leave your snooty European comments in Deutschland.

Oh, and if you want to talk about Iraq, go to a political forum.

What the hell are you talking bout, or should I say about what are u talking? I could care less that tomtom is a European company, my point to you was that you were being a smart-ass replying to the original posters thread with your comment saying "There's No mystery about it in Germany it's called DUO", so I simply pointed out (see VERRRY top of your page) that this is a TomTom USA community, so to us it was a mystery. So leave your snooty European comments in Deutschland.

Oh, and if you want to talk about Iraq, go to a political forum.

I was going to say 'At least the USA showed up.', but I didn't.

I wonder how much is it.
Also, correct me if I am wrong. Aren't most car nowadays equip w/ proprietary audio/ video unit, virtually impossible to upgrade to after-market headunit w/out total rewire to bypass fiber optic cable, amp, etc?
Not to mention no space for 2-din Duo?

In most situations you can find an aftermarket spacer/box/mount/whatever to accomodate and aftermarket 2-DIN head unit in most modern vehicles. Of course, it depends on the popularity of the car make/model. Personally, I'm seriously looking at this as a solution if my GO700 ever goes belly-up. I like the idea of sticking with a mostly portable TomTom unit, and then having this nice docking station in the dash head unit. I also know that head unit dock will fit in my Toyota Sienna... ;)

I recently encountered the fiberoptic debacle when trying to add XM radio to my wife's Volvo XC90 SUV. In trying to find a solution, I did discover that other manufacturers are putting in fiberoptic audio systems as well, but the majority of them are still using good ol' fashion copper. Personally, I think the fiberoptic stuff is a dumb idea, as even the quietest, most luxurious car is still going to have road/wind noise, so is it REALLY necessary to have a 100% fiberoptic system to provide the ultimate sound quality? My wife's Volvo even had fiber coming from the antenna, which prevented me from tapping in a wired FM modulator for the XM receiver. Is it really necessary to have fiber coming from the FM antenna? I especially found all this silly in the Volvo because (1) It's an SUV so it gets a lot of wind/road noise, and (2) there are a lot of other things that were relatively primative or missing in the car -- they really should've started improving/adding those features instead of fiberoptic audio (ie, XM/Sirius Radio -- HELLO? It's 2007! FM is only used for modulating iPods and external satellite radio devices!).

We've since traded in the Volvo for a Honda with copper wiring. Guess what? The audio system sounds better. Haha.

In most situations you can find an aftermarket spacer/box/mount/whatever to accomodate and aftermarket 2-DIN head unit in most modern vehicles. Of course, it depends on the popularity of the car make/model. Personally, I'm seriously looking at this as a solution if my GO700 ever goes belly-up. I like the idea of sticking with a mostly portable TomTom unit, and then having this nice docking station in the dash head unit. I also know that head unit dock will fit in my Toyota Sienna... ;)

I recently encountered the fiberoptic debacle when trying to add XM radio to my wife's Volvo XC90 SUV. In trying to find a solution, I did discover that other manufacturers are putting in fiberoptic audio systems as well, but the majority of them are still using good ol' fashion copper. Personally, I think the fiberoptic stuff is a dumb idea, as even the quietest, most luxurious car is still going to have road/wind noise, so is it REALLY necessary to have a 100% fiberoptic system to provide the ultimate sound quality? My wife's Volvo even had fiber coming from the antenna, which prevented me from tapping in a wired FM modulator for the XM receiver. Is it really necessary to have fiber coming from the FM antenna? I especially found all this silly in the Volvo because (1) It's an SUV so it gets a lot of wind/road noise, and (2) there are a lot of other things that were relatively primative or missing in the car -- they really should've started improving/adding those features instead of fiberoptic audio (ie, XM/Sirius Radio -- HELLO? It's 2007! FM is only used for modulating iPods and external satellite radio devices!).

We've since traded in the Volvo for a Honda with copper wiring. Guess what? The audio system sounds better. Haha.

I understand that fiber optic may not be necessary or better than traditional copper wires. Just that most car's Audio or Command center is more than just radio/audio anymore. It also display speed sensing volume control, trip computer, engine information, which also link to instrument cluster and steering wheel.

Even w/ Honda, I am sure once replace OEM head unit, the steering wheel control will no longer "workable", right?

If TomTom Duo is going to introduce as "after-market" replacement, it might become the nightmare for marketing strategy. Auto manufacture has purposly design and monopolized its own "replacement" product.

I am absolutely sure Duo is a wonderful product, however, great gadget may not always survived, right?
________
DiamondTS cam

Last edited:

Ask a Question