My Tomtom is always off by 1/4 mile on any destination

My Tomtom is always off on any destination

Hi,

I have a Go 720, and just got this week a Go 920. The two units have the same problem, they are of between 400 feet and 1/4 of a Mile off.

The POI, and houses addresses are always off.

It is very frustrating because I cant really trust the units to get me at the front door of a specific address. Sometimes I just go right buy the address, and I have turn back, because the units are off.

I had a go 910 in the past, and it was dead on, very accurate.

Anny comments?...

George

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted (Nokia6682/2.0 (4.65.0) SymbianOS/8.0 Series60/2.6 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I have the same problem with my 720 wrt the POI's. Usually addresses are not too far off, however they are not right on either.

Hi everyone !

This will be my first week with the Go 920. I really like the 920, except it as some major issues.

1- Never the unit was dead on the address I dial in. It is always off.

2- Voice recognition is not perfect. I am still experimenting with it.

3- Once, I wanted to go to a McDonald restaurant, and as I get to the intersection, the McDonald is at my left, I only had to make a left turn at the light, but instead, It tells me to turn right, make a big circle so that the restaurant would be on my right... That doesnt make any sense.

4- I think the bluetooth is working better, sound is better.

5- It should have in the choices off routes, the option for Panoramic routes.

To finish, I really am in a reflection about to keep it, or to return the 920 for a Garmin, with a precise guidance destination, not 500 feet away. This is a major issue, I cant understand why it is not more accurate. Come to think of it, with all the different brand I tried, expensive or not, the 720, and the 920 are the only one that are not accurate, they are the only one with a difference margin error between 400 feet's, to as much as 1/4 mile.

Hope to get some feedback from you all.

Thanks
George

I consistently had the 1/4 mile off problem with a 910 with the original (2006) maps, but after installing 6.65, it all cleared up. It may unfortunately take a map upgrade on your 720 to ultimately fix it.

George, have you always had errors this bad or just recently?

Take a look at this article on wiki and see if it might be what your dealing with: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilution_of_precision_(GPS)

There's also a link to a program that will predict GDOP for you.

Hope this helps,
Chuck

Hi,

Tanks for the help.

How do you get to this article on " wiki " cant see it on that website...

George

The GPS errors do not explain your problems. My TT with the original maps consistently did that (it announced "you are there" prematurely - even when approaching from opposite directions , but the graphic position on the map was correct) It was not until I upgraded maps that all this cleared up.

I had several map updates so far, and I always get the same errors.

I am always off my 400 to 500 feet from my POI.

Also, what is it about making you turn before your destination, making you do a big loop ( detour ) and come back on my way so the destination would be on my right. I was coming down on a Blvd. then I just had to make a left turn to get to my destination, but instead it made me do a big detour.

I really don't understand the logic of this thing.

George

Also, what is it about making you turn before your destination, making you do a big loop ( detour ) and come back on my way so the destination would be on my right. I was coming down on a Blvd. then I just had to make a left turn to get to my destination, but instead it made me do a big detour.
I've noticed this too... I guess the routing engine HATES left turns, and tries to avoid them unless there's no other option. But I have to admit, with my wife sitting next to me grumbling, "why are you using that stupid thing... it's just going to get us lost", it's kinda embarrassing (not recognizing that the destination is right there) to follow this big loop and end up realizing that it wasn't necessary.

--Michael

I've noticed this too... I guess the routing engine HATES left turns, and tries to avoid them unless there's no other option. But I have to admit, with my wife sitting next to me grumbling, "why are you using that stupid thing... it's just going to get us lost", it's kinda embarrassing (not recognizing that the destination is right there) to follow this big loop and end up realizing that it wasn't necessary.

--Michael

Hi !

Wow, you cant be more right about that. Not only my wife, but all my friends are teasing me with this GPS acting a bit strange.

George

I noticed that this happens on my 910 everytime its synced with TT home and downlaods an update of quickGPSfix. I delete or no longer do the quickGPSfix update and is always spot-on.

off by 1/4 mile on any destination

I am having the same problem with the Tom Tom XL 330. I have tried all suggested ideas, load new (greatest and latest) map, turn off quick fix, all no help. Returned it to retailer and received a new one. Same exact problem. It does not appear to be a hardware issue. I agree with GAW, it does not apear to be a GPS problem either. The reference to your current position is spot on. When your at an intersection, the GPS has you at that intersection within feet. The error appears to be in the destination addressing. Even built in POI are off by a quarter mile. Mine appears to be consistently off by a quarter mile to the West. That is the destination is plotted one quarter mile west of where it actually is???..every time! If this was my first GPS I may not know better, but this is unacceptable. If anyone has the solutions please post.

Can you give a sample POI or address? I can check on my tomtom to see if I can reproduce it. This will let you know if it is a map problem or some problem specific to your unit.

sample POI

I have tried multiple POI, Gas Stations, Hotels & Restaurants. Some nation wide chains like Residence Inn or Days INN. I?m in south Jersey close to the AC area. It could be local mapping problem except for the guy in Canada having similar problems. I exchanged the Tom Tom with another one just the other day, I put in my address on the way home, it displayed the same quarter mile discrepancy as the original. I have not downloaded the latest maps for this new one, out of the box its not looking good. I will continue testing and report back.

Gps off

I have a 920 for a long time and I rarely find an location off. If it is off you can add alocation to the location that you are at or change someting with map share.. I used a garmin to check the same poi and address where tom tom was off and the Garmin was off also. With mapshare and the 4 map downloads per year I doubt you get better maps then tom toms. In May when you will be getting next teleatlas 2009 map it is going to include may mapshare updates that are sent to them. I predict that by the end of 2009 tom tom maps will definately surpass any navacore garmin maps.

Without some details on what is "off", it's impossible to say if the poi address was just reported incorrectly, or perhaps an address range rather than coordinates was used for the location, or one of several other scenarios. It comes up in forums all the time, and by itself is not really any reliable indicator of the map accuracy or inaccuracy. In any case, it's also very common, whether TeleAtlas maps or Navteq. I've got a 7-11 I pass by every day whose actual location and the reported location are nearly a 1/4 mile different. Businesses change locations frequently, leave entirely, get renamed, have their address misreported thru public reporting agencies, etc. Many of the locations are not developed by TomTom (or Garmin, or Mio et al), but instead purchased or requested from other sources, or sometimes even part of paid placement by businesses displaying their on-screen "icon". I wouldn't be concerned unless nearly all poi searches are incorrect in your area. Just something we all will deal with for a very long time, no matter whose map is in the device.

I know the coordinates of my house from two GPS units and Google maps. All three readings agree closely. When I enter these coordinates into my XL 340-S LIVE it places the location about 300 yards NW of where the other units say it is--ON THE WRONG STREET! If I enter my address into the 340s it spots my house about 150 yards away from where it really is, at least it's still on the right street. If I sit in my driveway my 340s gives different coordinates from the other three references. The 340s has the last three decimals of the coordinates as N .916' and the real coordinates are N .932'. The west coordinates are 340s = W .862', real coordinates W .963'.

How can I correct this? I am afraid the I am going to wind up driving over a cliff or into a river. I haven't used the unit yet, but, now I don't trust it to take me within walking distance of my destination.

Ask a Question