My idiea for TomTom Live Location Sharing.

I have looked through the stickies, and searched the forums, No results seem to point to anything like this:

TomTom talks about this on its site: TomTom Buddies Users can find out where their friends are on the map, send them messages and share favourite locations.

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - LIVE Services

This is my first post on these forums, recently I thought of some really cool things TomTom could do (mostly with its iPhone app)

I'm sure someone has talked about this before, I cant see no one else ever have thinking of this.

I see so many more possibilities here.

------------------------------------------------------------

TomTom

My Idiea: Live location sharing updates.

With the release of iPhone os 4.0 & Multitasking GPS aware iphone features.

You can add a feature to the app that will allow users to share there location and their progress to the destination.

I would love to share with a family member my progress to their house on a long driving trip. They would immediately know where I was, how long until I was there, if I hit traffic, and they can adjust their day biased on when I am expected to arrive. All my family members need to do is go to a website that you setup, IE tomtom.com/liveshare, and they will see a map of where I am, and they will see arrival time, current speed ect ect.

Lets face it, were on our mobile devices more and more. So this feature would need to be more than a website that you can visit on your pc or mac, it will need to be access on other iPhones.
Also this feature could be integrated the app to work in the reverse direction.

EX:
I'm waiting at a restaurant for a friend to meet me for lunch. I want to know how long until she arrives, and where she is. I could open my TomTom app on my iPhone and request to see where she is. I would on my screen see an exact representation of what she sees on her iPhone. This way I would know exactly when she is expected to arrive.

Take this a step further, me and my co-worker want to meet somewhere at the same time, but He has left late, and he started out much further from the destination than me. Now I don't want to be sitting around.

We both previously set our phones to know we want to meet at the same time. When he begins navigating to the destination my iPhone becomes aware of his ETA to that destination, when his ETA matches mine, (or 5 minutes longer than mine, so I have time to run out the door) it tells me I need to get going. At this point both of us will know we will meet at the same location at the same time, no waiting around.

I can set my phone to alert me when to leave so I will get to the destination at the same time.

Since TomTom has live traffic, this makes all these features much more accurate.

Giving the TomTom user app the ability to share and collaborate location with others so others will know when they are expected, and when to leave would be an incredibly powerful feature for the TomTom in OS 4.0

For users concerned with privacy this could be an easy on off option in the settings, and could be set to only share location with a set list of friends. Or even be set to send a push notification to allow or deny someone to see your live location each time they request it. So when my Cousin requests my location when i'm on the way to his house, I simply allow or deny his request on my iPhone.

This has many benefits to TomTom:

Encurage more iPhone users to get the TomTom app, the app would be required to see the location of other users. Makes more users aware of TomTom on the iPhone, and gives TomTom an advantage over other navigation apps available.

I'm going to quickly add:

I currently have the TomTom XL 1 S (2008) and I love it! I hated GPS navigation untill I got a TomTom, so I see TomTom as the people whom could pull this off.

Good idea. For my tomtom930. It might take a long time to happen. Meanwhile if you are in need
of some of the functionalities, I thought I would share what I have.

I currently use a device/service to allow me and trusted friends to locate my vehicle's whereabouts
via a website, and via txt messages. Gives real time info: coordinates direction and speed of the vehicle
overlayed over google map. Also serves as motion alarm and perimeter alert - i.e. when vehicle moves
few meters from its current location.

Blackline GPS - Real time GPS, tracking, vehicle, child, boat tracker and more

Ask a Question