moving favs from garmin to tomtom

I bought a tomtom xl 30 series and would like to move my garmin gpx files to the tomtom. I was able to use a poi editor to convert the gpx to ov2 format and place them in my tom to poi folder. I cant work out what folder to put them in on the tomtom or what format so as the will save as a favourites, I can access them as poi's only then I can save each one as a fav by suing the tomtom but yhe only thing is |I have over 800 favs, so to do it this way it will take forever. can someone please help.
cheers:)

TomTom only allows a maximum of 48 favourites.

But (in the long run) a better way is to create a custom poi category called _My_Favourites and add each point as a listing in that _My_Favourites.ov2 file. You can have hundreds of items in each category. Then you put the new .ov2 file directly into the specific map folder for your unit.

When you update the map, you just copy all your custom .ov2 files to the new map folder.

The reason for the _ at the beginning allows for the category to 'float' to the top of poi category listings.

See if this tool, poi edit from poiedit.com makes your life easier.

wher to save favorites

what folder in tomtom are favourites stored in and what format is the favourites. I have tried itn format and placed the favourites in the itn folder but they dont show on my device, any help would do.

Favourites are kept in the mapsettings.cfg file located in the specific map folder. That's why I suggested poi edit as a tool to read that .cfg file and save each favourite in the file as a point in a custom category ov2 file you should create. Then the custom file goes in the specific map folder.

explain

i have opened the .cfg in poi edit but when i change favs in that file i cannot save it as .cfg file format. Please give in more detail your last post.
cheers

You first create a custom ov2 file called, say, My_Favourites. You open mapsetting.cfg in poi edit and you will see a list of your favourites. You do NOT save each item as a .cfg file, you save them as points in the My_Favourites ov2 file.

Then, when completed, you use Explorer to copy the ov2 file directly into the specific map folder you have on the unit.

what folder in tomtom are favourites stored in and what format is the favourites. I have tried itn format and placed the favourites in the itn folder but they dont show on my device, any help would do.

dhn is providing a method to create a poi category called "favorites". The favorites in Tomtom are stored in the general mapsettings.cfg configuration file, along with most of your other Tomtom settings. I don't believe poiedit can write to mapsettings.cfg, only read from it. (haven't used POIedit, so I'm not sure)

I you really want to use the favorites menu, you'll have to add them manually. The best manual way is probably to create a poi category first. Then when adding favorites, set the to the POI location so you don't have to retype them in. Then you can delete the POI category once you're done.

Ask a Question