Motorcycle Mounts

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720 App:8.302 Map:N/A 815.2019
Just a question... new GO 720 owner here. Also a Goldwing rider (1800cc 2001 model). There are commercial mounts available for my Goldwing, but...

How does the TomTom stand up to road/MC vibration? Good? Any problems?

Thanks,

-Frank

I will try to help, but as a Harley rider, I may be liable for expulsion from my club for aiding a Gold Wing rider....

I have mounted both a 910 (which had a hard drive) and now a 920 (basically the same as your 720) on a Harley model that probably has the stiffist suspension of any traditional Harley model.

I have used RAM mounts. I was more concerned about the 910, due to the hard drive, but I never had a problem. Officially, TomTom discourages this application, but unless you damaged it by it hitting the road (even Rider TT models without a tether have hit the road at times) - it would be hard for TT to blame a failure on this (unless you told them).

The unit gets bounced pretty good in cars and trucks anyway, and being that the a Gold Wing is sort of a two wheeled auto (I just had to say that - ha ha).

I don't think you will have a problem with the vibration. The glare on the screen (get a bonnet), and color schemes with the best contrast (search the forum for recommendations) will be the issues you will have to deal with.

I will try to help, but as a Harley rider, I may be liable for expulsion from my club for aiding a Gold Wing rider....
Well, hope you enjoyed the club when you could! :D

Anyway, yeah, it if can withstand the vibration on a Harley I'm sure it'll be fine on the Goldwing :p

As for hitting the road, well, I suppose that goes for anything. Including my body!

-Frank

Well, hope you enjoyed the club when you could! :D

Anyway, yeah, it if can withstand the vibration on a Harley I'm sure it'll be fine on the Goldwing :p

As for hitting the road, well, I suppose that goes for anything. Including my body!

-Frank

Especially without a helmet - which I will confess I did a few times riding back there ....

As for the vibrations - watch out for all those potholes that appear after the spring thaw.

i'm also looking for mounts. i may end up making one for my simple 125.

as far as vibration, i wouldn't think the GW would produce much to worry about. rubber isolated bars, honda smoothness, all of that.

my gs (suzuki, not a beemer!) on the other hand is a buzzer.

and a harley, oh gawd. if the mount's plastic didn't re-establish itself back into dust i'd be surprised.

**** jokes over ****

i'm going to be adding a 12v socket and clipons (wannabe racer bars) this weekend, along with some type of mount, store bought or machined myself.

if it goes well, i'll post pictures and impressions. i'm thinking a waterproof plexi box is in the future. or leathers. ;)

Well I ride a Honda Shadow and have the One XL and it's been mounted with a Ram Mount for over a year and no problems, no vibrations to speak of, I did mount a screen saver and a sun shield to help with the sun, these do fair but hardley nothing will eliminate sun problems during daylight hours...........

You people need to get a "real bike" ...a BMW!!! :p:p:p :D:D
(that's just a bit of "winter storage" sarcasm from my R1100RSL in the rust belt of Ohio (on Lake Erie))

You people need to get a "real bike" ...a BMW!!! :p:p:p :D:D
(that's just a bit of "winter storage" sarcasm from my R1100RSL in the rust belt of Ohio (on Lake Erie))
Whatever! Hehe... :D

-Frank
BryceUtahsm.jpg

Motorcycle Mount

I have used my 720 on my Harley for 2 seasons and it works fine. It's a homemade mount. Vibration never a issue and using the FM transmitter it comes over my speakers fine. Only issue is the Glare but as GAW said a bonnet may be the way to go. Hope next season brings more of a riding season for us

What do you meant next season??? Just did a 20 mile ride with the club through the redwoods inland and over some ridges in the coast range and back down the coast last Saturday.

Oh well, it was in California...(although we were surprised by some patches of ice and snow up on the ridges).

On the other hand, the breakfast ride is off tomorrow - 100-200 meter visibility in the fog gives motorists too good of an excuse to run us down.

Opps

Did'nt see where you are, I'm in New Hampshire and We had an Ice storm 2 weeks ago (lost power for 10 days) And now 8 inches of snow today so my season is over. Hope to be back in the saddle in March. Must be some great riding out there. Have fun

Here's what I have

Mounted it over the Satellite Radio. I should make something to cut down on the glare.

Attachments

• DSC00168 (Small) (2).JPG
    DSC00168 (Small) (2).JPG
    66 KB · Views: 366
Did'nt see where you are, I'm in New Hampshire and We had an Ice storm 2 weeks ago (lost power for 10 days) And now 8 inches of snow today so my season is over. Hope to be back in the saddle in March. Must be some great riding out there. Have fun

Same to you.

Hell I took the Harley down to the beach and went for a swim today. I'm looking at RAM mounts myself. They look like what I need.

They work pretty good - I have used to different installations on different TT units. I have not bothered to wire it in though, I use an additional battery pack.

There are good instructions in the forum on wiring it in however.

I use a RAM mount with both my Trumpion (dedicated Sat Nav) and Acer PDA on a Virago 535.
The roads here in Britain are atrocious but the RAM mount has never given me a problem even when I have dropped the bike (luckily when stationary).

Usually have the sat nav mounted just below and to the left of my line of site using two extension arms - even with these the unit remains rock solid and easily viewable. Great for seeing the layout of the road ahead and any bends that sharpen up.

Cheers,

RAM Mount

Goldwing & RAM mount. Best combination for a GO730. By the way, Gold Winger never heard of "vibrations". Where you talking Harley here???

Attachments

• DSC04084.jpg
    DSC04084.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 376
  • DSC04085.jpg
    DSC04085.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 365

Ask a Question