Mapshare changes timing

How long should it be before a map correction that you report shows up on the tomtom? As an example, the town I live in is putting round-a-bouts everywhere it seems like. I did a map correction for one but I can't get it to show up.

Is there a delay for verification or is there something else that I need to do? I thought my own reported ones would always show.

Thanks!

TomTom720 with NA map 715.1712

So what's the point?

If it can take years for a reported change to take affect, then why report anything at all? I thought the mapshare changes went over top of the existing map and added to the content. If I add a round-a-bout, shouldn't it appear there the next time I boot up my tomtom? I could see how adding roads might take some time but changing names, traffic direction, and other minor changes that don't make significant physical changes to the map should go in as you make the input.

Which is why the whole concept of mapshares in many instances is more of a marketing tool than a functional improvement.

changing road names, blocking streets etc show up right away.

But adding any physical change as a new road, roundabouts etc cannot/do not show up ever on your current map. In these cases mapshare is just a reporting service. mapshare sounds great in the commercials, but in actual use has limited value.

such changes might show up eventually on a new map version and you'd have to buy that map so see 'em.

Last edited:
changing road names, blocking streets etc show up right away.

But adding any physical change as a new road, roundabouts etc cannot/do not show up ever on your current map. In these cases mapshare is just a reporting service. mapshare sounds great in the commercials, but in actual use has limited value.

such changes might show up eventually on a new map version and you'd have to buy that map so see 'em.

Yes, exactly. You can't use MapShare to physically change the maps, only to make corrections. Other than that, it's just for suggestions. You'll have to wait for a new mpa version to see if your roundabouts are in the update.

Which is why the whole concept of mapshares in many instances is more of a marketing tool than a functional improvement.

A number of people reported seeing their MapShare changes in the latest map update. It should only improve from here.

changing road names, blocking streets etc show up right away. ...
Couple of caveats on that. They show up for you straight away. They show up for others on condition of their MapShare Trust levels & of TomTom's servers.

I've submitted hundreds of changes to my locale, but I'm not sure how widely distributed they are. For example, in Pocomoke City, MD, USA:

N 38?04'35" , W 75?33'48" should be a blocked road (NOT part of '4th St')
N 38?03'59" , W 75?34'11" should be labeled "5th St" (NOT '5th Ave')
N 38?03'34" , W 75?33'08" should be the corrected location for the High School's POI
N 38?01'49" , W 75?32'20" should be labeled as an extension of "Brantley Rd" (NOT as part of 'Buck Harbor Rd')

If your MapShare Corrections haven't been erased by the recent server glitches, you may be able to verify these.

R?

Ask a Question