"Maps not found"

TomTom Model(s)
Tomtom GO 920T
I've got a Tomtom GO 920T. It worked fine until I started installing some 3rd party apps and I'm guessing they are what messed it up. I was on a long trip and partway through the trip, all my POI's disappeared. The database was still there, because I was getting alerts, and I was actually able to search for POI's near me. But if I searched for POI's in a particular city, I got no results. I tried removing all of my 3rd party apps and resetting, but it didn't help. So I called Tomtom support, and they gave me the credit for the latest maps for free through HOME. So I made a backup then upgraded the maps. That didn't help. So I made another backup, and then completely reformatted the internal memory using Disk Utility (I was careful to keep the DOS file system, but I did change the name of the volume from "UNTITLED" to "TOMTOM"), and then copied ALL of the data from my dad's Tomtom (same model) onto mine. Now when I turn on the Tomtom, I get "Maps not found." Resetting doesn't help. Any ideas?

Maps are associated with a specific device, not just TYPE of device. In other words, copying a backup from 1 unit to the internal memory of another won't work, as you found.

You mention in your post that you did a complete backup prior to the reformatting. I would restore from THAT backup (in other word, your unit's) and then try a pin reset.

OK, so I did that. Now, the Tomtom starts up and has maps...of Guam. Only. Unfortunately, I don't live in Guam. :) ive tried every copy of the North American maps that I have (all the backups) and I've also tried re-downloading the maps from Tomtom Home. Any ideas?

OK, so I did that. Now, the Tomtom starts up and has maps...of Guam. Only. Unfortunately, I don't live in Guam. :) ive tried every copy of the North American maps that I have (all the backups) and I've also tried re-downloading the maps from Tomtom Home. Any ideas?

Maps can only be installed using TTHome. So, using that application, choose Add Maps/Voices, then move through (arrow right?) till you get to Items on My Computer. You should see a map row listed. Expand that and you should see the map(s) stored on your computer (where ALL items get downloaded to prior to installation). Click on Install for the one(s) you want.

Maps can only be installed using TTHome. So, using that application, choose Add Maps/Voices, then move through (arrow right?) till you get to Items on My Computer. You should see a map row listed. Expand that and you should see the map(s) stored on your computer (where ALL items get downloaded to prior to installation). Click on Install for the one(s) you want.

yuck, yuck, more DRM! eugh! :mad:

tnx for the help, I'll try that!

When I try that, it doesn't show any maps. It only shows 2 TomTom applications, and 1 SafetyCamerasIT. These are all on the Documents and .... \My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download folder (under program and safetycamera). My maps are under Backup\GO\Backup01.

What I really want to do move my W&C Eupope to my 2Gb SD card, to free up internal memory for the new USA map, and more goodies. So I thought I could just move it with Explorer? But you say I have to use TTHome somehow. Any suggestions?

When I try that, it doesn't show any maps. It only shows 2 TomTom applications, and 1 SafetyCamerasIT. These are all on the Documents and .... \My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download folder (under program and safetycamera). My maps are under Backup\GO\Backup01.

What I really want to do move my W&C Eupope to my 2Gb SD card, to free up internal memory for the new USA map, and more goodies. So I thought I could just move it with Explorer? But you say I have to use TTHome somehow. Any suggestions?

No...no......the first time a map is DOWNLOADED to your computer via TTHome and then INSTALLED on your unit (internal or sd card as the case may be) also by TTHome. During the installation process, new activation files are created such that the installed map can be 'seen' by the operating system.

Once properly installed on the unit, THEN you can copy the complete map folder from internal (or sd) to the computer using Explorer to make room for the proper download and installation of another map.

If you have an x20 or x30 unit, only the map needs to be copied using Explorer to a sd card. If an other model, THEN **everything** in internal needs copying from internal to the sd card.

Bottom line: TTHome needed for FIRST installation of a map. Further removals and restores of THAT map (folder) can be done via Explorer.

Ask a Question