map updating problems

have a new XL350m and just went to download updated maps- it downloads to the PC, but when installing to the tomtom it says :
An Error Has Occurred. The file is invalid (archive file): C:\Users\my name\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\Complete\map\U SA_Canada_Mexico\USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P.zip

I have windows 7, i did the disk check and it comes up no problems found.

Any ideas or insight into this, anyone? I'm very new to all of this - thanks so much!!

more problems

Ack, 2 things:
1 --- before I heard back, I called support and they had me delete all the existing files on the unit as well as the map updates - then reinstall with a connected (not wireless) computer with the same result. They said the download was corrupted. Now though, I have an empty $120 piece of plastic without even the outdated maps I started with. WHAT NOW??

2 -- In your advice, the instructions say:
Make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

How exactly do I make an Explorer backup?

Thanks again!!!

What do you mean 'where'?

Most updating of maps, applications, voices, etc. is done when you connect your unit to Home.

I am having the same issues. I bought a xl340tm yesterday and while updating the maps it bricked it. So I returned it for another one. And wala will not update, even though there is one available. I have followed all the steps on backing up the gps. I am regreting leaving garmin at this point. I do have two other xxl540tm I bought last week and they work just fine.

I am having the exact same issue with updating maps. I have a XXL 550T and everything else updated fine except for maps. Same error as mentioned above. Maybe Tom Tom has a problem with the update that is out there. Any other ideas?

Call support at 866-486-6866 and have them (try to) explain what the delay is......

have a new XL350m and just went to download updated maps- it downloads to the PC, but when installing to the tomtom it says :
An Error Has Occurred. The file is invalid (archive file): C:\Users\my name\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\Complete\map\U SA_Canada_Mexico\USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P.zip
!

It looks like the downloaded map file may be corrupted. Exit Home completely on you computer. Rename the "Download" folder at C:\Users\my name\Documents\TomTom\HOME. Home will recreate a new "Download" folder when it restarts.

Restart Home and reconnect you 350M.

If you have more than one GPS you may need to do this before you connect and update your device. I was updating the LMG on several 335T's for my uncles. Home downloads the latest map and the activation.zip for the map. If you do not delete or rename the "Download" folder, I think Home sees you already have the map downloaded and trys to load the wrong activation.zip to the new device.

Last edited:
Hi,

How do I just download latest map update w/o going thru' Home? Home will do an 'Update and install', but I don't see an option to download map only (and not install).

I just want to download map only--and then do a manual install of the new map.

Thanks.

First it downloads and then it starts the install. When it starts that, you click 'cancel'.

Why do you want to install it manually:?

I had the same problem with the latest update
I believe it maybe a Win 7 problem with the latest update,
I tried again using my XP machine and it worked flawlessly .
Hooked it back up to my win 7 machine and everything seems fine again

Just an fyi. I had they same problem. Called tomtom cs. They had me delete the from device and download file from the tomtotm file on my computer. Also delete the map folder on the gps. Then update the map and it work great. Give it a try

This is exactly what I want to do:

do a manual map update on my 340TM--and don't go through Home, so to avoid any Home-related install problem (if this is what many people are seeing now).

Let me know if these steps are still valid:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

I suppose even if I install map manually (avoid using Home) I'd still see the recent mapshare problem next time I run Home?

https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...-map-share-map-corrections-not-working-3.html

Also, how do I see

- the current map version available from TomTom website (w/o connecting to Home)

I am seeing '8008' mapshare map correction version when connecting to Home. Is this the current map version, or 'mapshare map correction' version, and not 'US map' version? Home says 'your map is up to date'.

But when I went into check the software version on my 340TM it says US/Canada map 'v845.2670.' When I went to Home it said there was a 'new' US map available (v860.3121). I placed the activation code in but did not do 'download and install' yet.

I am a bit confused by the two conflicting messages from Home.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The instructions on how to install without Home are valid. you tap the satellite bars on the unit and the next screen shows the application version installed on the unit. Now, tap the version number and the following screen will show the map involved and the version number.

Update for tom tom home problem in windows 7

I have windows 7, i did the disk check and it comes up no problems found.

Any ideas or insight into this, anyone? I'm very new to all of this - thanks so much!!

I think their is a problem with the new update and windows 7. I got a XL 330 and home ask for a new version for home when I updated the program TomTom home close it and won't leave me work with my unit. If I don't put it with the usb the program open fine but not with the unit attached to the pc.

What version of Home did you update to? And have you tried to run Home in XP compatible mode?

Ask a Question