Map Share with Renamed Maps

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920
I have a Go 740 Live with North America 2GB maps. I primarily use this unit in a commercial vehicle and need to edit my maps to block certain roads. Before editing my maps for this purpose, I copy the maps to a Micro SD card and rename them to "North America Truck", allowing me to easily tell the difference when switching between maps when I move the unit to a passenger car.

Map Share changes appear to get applied to both maps when I use Home to update my device. However, I'm wondering if that is really the case, and if changes I make to the renamed map actually get uploaded to TomTom for use on future maps.

Can the update process tell that my renamed map is actually the North America 2GB map?

Can anyone offer any other insights here?

As I understand it, mapshares uploaded by users to TT eventually go through the vetting process at TomTom (somewhat of a mysterious process) and those approved by TT then get promulgated to all maps so I think it is ok and that the 'real' NA map will be changed. I think. :eek:

Okay. I should probably clarify for anyone reading this that when making changes specific to my vehicle, I choose to not share them, and only share changes that applicable to all vehicles.

On the other hand, after updating to map 845, I noticed that (what should have been) unshared changes I made to earlier maps had been implemented in the 845 map. This makes me question whether I actually shared them by mistake, and also brings into question TomTom's vetting process, as to my knowledge the road in question was never blocked for all traffic.

the unshared changes are saved somewhere in the tomtom software on your unit and will show up in any new maps you add later. I see many local changes I've made and not shared and they're carried over to new maps.

I found this some time ago from some post somewhere. Haven't really pursued it at all but here it is:

I was successful in transferring my map updates to a new version by backing up:

Map folder:
mapsettings.cfg
mapuserpatch.dat
deleted_poi.local
*.ov2

Root folder:
Userpatch.dat

Ask a Question