Map Share -- Road Preference

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720, One LE
I have been reading many threads lately about TomTom's poor routing and road selections. I experience this myself almost daily. I have emailed TomTom about having some ability to set a road preference.

An example of this would be two roads that parallel each other, one with traffic lights the entire length but a bit shorter and the other a bit longer but no or limited traffic lights. You should have an option to select two or more roads and set a +/- (or ++, --, etc) preferences for each. When the unit computes a route and see's two possible routes and figures that one route is a little quicker but you have a negative preference set to a selected road and the other route takes a little longer but has a preferred road it would select the route with the preferred road. The computed drive time is inaccurate anyway and a route with your preferred route is probably quicker and a more logical choice.

TomTom has an option to collect anonymous data such as actual drive times on specific roads but it seems to me they do not do anything with this data. This data should be invaluable.

Also, I ask users to take the time to provide feedback to http://mapfeedback.teleatlas.com//index.htm
when poor routes are selected. Eventually this data should find it way into TeleAtlas map data and aid in TomTom providing better routing

Edit:
If this sounds like a good idea to you, please send an email or call TomTom and let them know. This does not seems like it would be too hard to implement.

Last edited:
More thoughts...

There could be an opt-in feature of this where TomTom compiles the users uploaded ratings data. Users can select to download this collected data and use this 'local knowledge' to enhance their TomTom's routing ability.

In the Find Alternative menu there could be a button to select 'Road Preference' and this collected data would be considered in the routing.

Your preferences should always be considered with a menu option to not consider your preferences.

Anyone have any ideas or comments?

Ask a Question