Beyond mapshare corections? -complete ommission of a road

In short, there is a paved road near me with street signs where a couple dozen families live. It's been around for years, and other major maping programs (Google, Yahoo, AA, etc) list the road. But TT maps doesn't.

I briefly vented about this in another thread, but I want to do something about it and notify TT of the ommision. After all, just complaining about it won't help anything.

But I believe it goes beyond basic mapshare corrections. Isn't map share just to correct issues with an Existing road, or can I tell them about a missing road?

If they do accept ommision corrections, what would be the best way to convey the info? What would they need to see? Would a prinout of a google map showing the road help then get started, or would they need more technical/global positioning info?

Thanks!

DB

Geographical changes to a map cannot be done via mapshare. Only reported and hopefully implemented in a future version of the map. This includes a missing (new road).

If you follow mapshare steps for reporting a missing road, you''ll see it asks the map location.

The more that report a given missing road, the more likely that a new map will reflect the change. At least, that's the theory...

The "Correct a map error" does allow for indicating the location of a missing road, but unlike the other corrections, this one is not "resident" in your TomTom (doesn't show up on a map nor will it be used for routing), and isn't shared through the Mapshare system. It only serves to indicate to TomTom (and back to TeleAtlas) that there's something amiss.

It's a bit tricky, but you can accomplish the notification directly on your TomTom by indicating the two points (A) and (B) between which street exists.

Alternately, you can go directly to the TeleAtlas site and make note of the problem there:
Map Insight
The "add a street or map feature" will be what you want.

The latter is more likely to see action sooner.

If you follow mapshare steps for reporting a missing road, you''ll see it asks the map location.
QUOTE]

Thank you dhn,

Just so I can be prepared when I send in the correction, what specific "map location" info will they ask for? Logitude and latitude, compass position, etc? Or will more basic information be enough?

Thanks,

DB

Haven't my unit with me so I forget the precise steps. Just try it on your unit and see what is required. You can always cancel out of the process.

Thank you both for your help!

DB
If you're doing this for the first time, you probably won't find the process of doing it on your TT very intuitive. The process on the Teleatlas site is much more straightforward, and as I noted, more likely to get a response sooner than moving it up the chain to them the other way.

Hi All,

An update to my map change adventure.

I went to the Teleatlas site and filled out all of the required info. They sent me an initial email saying that I provided enough info for them to investigate.

A few days later they sent an email saying they couldn't make the update because there wasn't enough info.

That's strange. As part of the process they have you look up the road on their online map and put a "thump tack" on the location, which I did. It couldn't be more obvious.

The maps they distribute to their partners don't have the road. A simple process of looking at their GPS maps and comparing it to their online map. One has it, the other doesn't.

I don't have the time to jump through hoops to help them understand this basic concept. This isn't rocket science. If it's not there, it's not there.

And I'm not dreaming this up either. The road exist. I've driven there half a dozen times. To check, I've put in alternative spelling and I've seperate the street name into two (full) words. The TT map just doesn't have it listed.

A couple of footnotes on reporting missing roads. TeleAtlas is actually supplying the underlying map. Even tho they are (currently :)) owned by TomTom, the map itself is compiled by TeleAtlas and their employees. As DHN and Canderson have pointed out, reporting the omission directly to TeleAtlas is the proper way to proceed. Now assume that at some point TeleAtlas lets you know they've confirmed your report. That doesn't mean you'll see the change in the next map release. If fact it's highly unlikely. TomTom is roughly three months behind the most recent TeleAtlas multinet update. So as an example the most recent TomTom was actually compiled by TeleAtlas back in June. But note too that any road geography changes are completed about 30 days prior to the TeleAtlas release, allowing time for other pertinent road data, names, etc to be included. In the current scenario that means any roads verified after early May didn't make the current TomTom map. So unless your missing road makes it into a TeleAtlas update at least 4 months prior to TomTom's official map update for your device, it still won't appear for your use.

As DHN and Canderson have pointed out, reporting the omission directly to TeleAtlas is the proper way to proceed.

Now assume that at some point TeleAtlas lets you know they've confirmed your report. That doesn't mean you'll see the change in the next map release. If fact it's highly unlikely. TomTom is roughly three months behind the most recent TeleAtlas multinet update. .

I understand that a map change /update would take time to be integrated into the TT map.

However, they told me that I didn't give them enough data to confirm the change. I took care to fill out the Teleatlas report completely and accurately.

I don't understand how they could have been confused. It was just a single road in an area with just a few other roads from an exit off a small highway.

Ask a Question