Manual Back Up - How To Use It

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL IQ Routes
Hi,

Re. manual back up on TomTom's support page: in short, it is recommended to copy all files of your TomTom to your notebook without using Home. As simple as that.
The problem is that there is no information what to do with such manual back up, and how to put all files back to TomTom step by step. To what extent TomTom should be "cleaned" before that, in order to have space.

In other words, when traveling in Europe is it possible to save manually map zones, and to change them manually during your trip without Internet and Home, just TomTom and notebook.

To change map zones with "high speed Internet", "stable connection" using Home (as recommended) can be a problem.

TomTom XL IQ Routes Europe (the map is divided into several map zones).

A full backup of your unit (recommended!) is as simple as we make it here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html
If you ever need the backup files again, it's the same kind of copy in reverse to your unit.

Yes - you can copy map folders on and off your unit using your PC's usual folder/file copy method as necessary due to any space constraints. Your unit will find whatever maps you've currently copied to it.

The MOST important thing to have backed up is a current copy of the folders that contains your maps (lots of files). If you have those, we can help you recover from just about anything.

Thanks! Much more clear.

Re. "Copy them to the TomTom drive (internal or external, as the case may be) and overwrite the contents of that drive":

In case of replacement of the current map zone in TomTom by a new map zone from the notebook may be it is better to delete the current map from TomTom insted of overwriting it.

Seems like TomTom support does not recommend to delete a map when the same map is updated, however, when it comes to different maps (different map zones), they do recommend to delete previous map?

I'd keep a copy of a different map zone on the computer until sure the update on the unit has gone well.

I'd keep copies of all of my downloaded maps and map zones on my PC no matter what! So when you download a new map or zone, always make a copy of the folder on your PC immediately when the install is done. Which may be exactly what dhn just said.

Ask a Question