Looking to buy...

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL
So I decided to get a GPS (was going to be for XMAS, but I have 2 road trips coming up soon, so I'm looking now). I did some research and decided to go with Tomtom. Now then which model?

What makes an "S" model different?

Am I correct that text-to-speech simply means street names are spoken? And if that is true that only the generic computer voice does this (downloaded voices will not)?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT

Ok...it appears like the S is indeed for the text-to-speech that I mentioned in my second question. :) Anyway, that question still stands. And is it worth it? Or does it depend on who you are? And what is all this talk from reviews about the basic voice not being loud enough? Is that true? Just on certain models?

Last edited:
All I can tell you is that I use a computer voice on my 720 and when in Australia earlier this month, I used a model (TomTom One) with no computer voice. I REALLY missed the streets being read out.

without text to speech: "After 2 kilometers, turn right".

With text to speech: "After 2 kilometers, turn right, Albert Street".

without text to speech: "After 2 kilometers, turn right".

With text to speech: "After 2 kilometers, turn right, Albert Street".
More like "Alb't Street" with Susan or Kate.
Both seem to swallow the last syllable of the street name.
From the human voices I found Jane to be the most concise.
What is the consensus for the "best" computer voice?

So I decided to get a GPS (was going to be for XMAS, but I have 2 road trips coming up soon, so I'm looking now). I did some research and decided to go with Tomtom. Now then which model?

What makes an "S" model different?

Am I correct that text-to-speech simply means street names are spoken? And if that is true that only the generic computer voice does this (downloaded voices will not)?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT

Ok...it appears like the S is indeed for the text-to-speech that I mentioned in my second question. :) Anyway, that question still stands. And is it worth it? Or does it depend on who you are? And what is all this talk from reviews about the basic voice not being loud enough? Is that true? Just on certain models?

There were some volume issues with the latest models initially, but they have been remedied by TomTom. Bumping up to get the text-to-speech models for the 130S/330S is a good investment, because it reduces the amount of time you spend looking *at* the TomTom while you're driving. Instead having to glance repeatedly at the TomTom to see what street you'll have to turn onto in however many yards it's telling you, the TomTom will tell you where/when the turn is coming and onto what street. It's safer, and I don't know if I could go back.

Ask a Question