New guy here, looking to buy

Hey all, I have a chance to pick up a TomTom One for around 100 bucks ..... not sure which version at this point. Anyway, I have used a Magellan Maestro which was easy enough.
What (if any) is the difference, good or bad. is the ease of operation, reliability. I understand that one has to update the maps .. at a cost ..... regularly. ...... can I get your input on this conundrum?

Thanks
Boris

I haven't owned anything else, but I have friends that have other brands. I prefer the Tom Tom for ease of use, design, and the ability to use celebrity voices. What version of the ONE, did you get?

I've never used any other brands so can't give a comparison but I can tell you that I like my TomTom. Once you get used to the menus, it's easy and straightforward to use. Again, I don't know how it works for other brands but this forum has quite a few active and helpful members that add to the enjoyment of the GPS.

For $100, I don't see how you could go wrong.

Hey all, I have a chance to pick up a TomTom One for around 100 bucks ..... not sure which version at this point. Anyway, I have used a Magellan Maestro which was easy enough.
What (if any) is the difference, good or bad. is the ease of operation, reliability. I understand that one has to update the maps .. at a cost ..... regularly. ...... can I get your input on this conundrum?

Thanks
Boris

For $100 you can't go wrong as long as the thing works. As far as having to update the maps, that is your decision. Depending on how old it is and where you live, the maps may be current enough. TomTom ease of use can not be beat. As far as reliability, it will get you where you are going.

Enjoy

I've never used any other brands so can't give a comparison but I can tell you that I like my TomTom. Once you get used to the menus, it's easy and straightforward to use. Again, I don't know how it works for other brands but this forum has quite a few active and helpful members that add to the enjoyment of the GPS.

For $100, I don't see how you could go wrong.

I second these remarks!:cool:

I would definitely buy it for $100, as long as it works and has a car charger. If you don't like it, you can sell it to me for $130 ;)

I understand that one has to update the maps .. at a cost ..... regularly. ...... can I get your input on this conundrum?

As previously mentioned, the maps really don't have to be upgraded at any particular frequency. You'll soon notice if your version is incomplete or inaccurate for your region, then choose to upgrade. The old adage "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!", really applies here.

The free update of interest that you will want to grab whenever it comes out, is for the operating system. The recent Navcore OS update brought several new features to the TomTom. One caveat, TomTom Corporate seems to spin in an alternate universe sometimes. You will learn, as everyone of us have, that not everything that TomTom does makes perfect sense. There will be bumps in the road, as you can witness by the various threads you see here. Thankfully, the cumulative experiences of the folks that post here are very helpful. If there is a problem with a TomTom, the symptoms and solutions can probably be found somewhere in the threads.

Last edited:

Ask a Question