Leaving 510 charging

I purchased a TomTom510 about a week ago. I won't be using it all of the time. However, will I damage the unit or the battery if I leave the 510 on continuous charge while it is in the cradle?

Javier

Hello and welcome!

This is no problem at all.
I left to South America for 2 weeks. I left my unit charging and when I came back no problems.

Hope this helps.

not more than 4 hours

I just talked to TT customer support and I was told that the GPS (TT 910) should not charge more than 4 hours. Also it should be charged with the home charger (not the car charger) every 3 weeks for 4 hours.

TT910

Interesting, I was told by TT Support, it was ok to leave it over night = over 4 hours.

I left it for 2 weeks! :D

I was also told that the unit needs to be charged with home charger every 3 weeks!!! I feel this requirement very strange.

TT910

i have had my 910 for about 7 month and never used home dock
to charge it and had no proplems with it.

I have never charged the unit with home charger for last 5 months. I just connect the car charger before using the 910. However during my last trip the 910 did not detect its position correctly. it was giving instructions for taking exits after i already passed the exit. All distance numbers displayed were wrong.When i talked to customer support about the issue, I was told that it is reqired to charge the 910 every 3 weeks!!!

TT910

Thanks guys,

Kind of odd that TT tells you that you should only charge it for 4 hours. Maybe the charger can't tell when the battery is full?

TT510 never off charger

My TT510 has been on the windscreen mount and on charge 24/7 for the past 6 or 7 months. When I do remove it to use portable on in another vehicle, it will run for 4 or 5 hours. I do leave it in the home dock overnight when I do a backup about once a month. I'm sure the constance charge (hopefully a trickle one) the batter life might be reduced some, but by that time, I will evaluate the market and see what brand and device is out there that better meets my needs. It may or may not be a TT, but won't know that until the time comes.

Home charger for 510

I'm a newbie. Went on a couple of trips and TT "died" enroute. My first call to support (they are very nice) yielded advice on how to reset the unit. Later, the 510 wouldn't power on again and this time TT support told me that you MUST put it on the home charger about once every 3 weeks or so. Even though I aways had it plugged in to the 12v car charger, that is not enough!
They also warned me not to leave it on the charger over 4 hours.

TT and charging

If your lighter socket is controlled with your key, then it is not being charged unless the car is on. Watch the green LED upper left to see. A good indicator is that when you start your car, the TT also comes on. If you leave the TT on when you exit your car and the lighter power is off, you will be running on internal battery alone. I recently had a rental car for a few days and was always having to remember to turn the TT off when I left the car for extended periods of time as the socket in it was controlled by the key. Many folks, like me, have lighters that stay on even when the car is off, so the 4 hour thing really doesn't hold much clout. As for putting the TT in the home dock every 3 weeks, that's more for software and GPS QuickFix updates than anything electrical.

Ask a Question