Keeping Voice Recognition files before Updating to HOME 2.2.2.83

Hello,
When i purchased my go720 in dec07 it never had VR enabled. I never even saw the dialog boxes for VR until i upgrade my 720 to the new 7.48 firmware. I was momentarily excited to see the "spoken voice" dialog box but then VERY disappointed when i realized that it DID NOT work. THe little icon in upper right stayed gray no matter what i did.
I read up on how to enable the VR on this site but seem to be missing some files, or maybe some understanding. I can't seem to locate the support_ars.dat anywhere on my Harddrive or the Go720. Can anybody help me?
Thanks
Ray

You didn't find it because you have to create it. Note the spelling: support_asr.dat

I have my doubts it'll work because, in fact, firmware 7.480 broke 720's ability to use VR.

Nevertheless, give it a shot. Open notepad, put in a '1' with no quotes. File-->Save As-->support.asr.dat

Make sure the setting is for all files NOT *.txt files because you do not want to wind up with a file called support_asr.dat.txt and make sure you have the Folder options NOT to hide extensions for known file types.

Put the support_asr.dat file in the asr folder on your unit and give it a shot.

Hello,
When i purchased my go720 in dec07 it never had VR enabled. I never even saw the dialog boxes for VR until i upgrade my 720 to the new 7.48 firmware. I was momentarily excited to see the "spoken voice" dialog box but then VERY disappointed when i realized that it DID NOT work. THe little icon in upper right stayed gray no matter what i did.
I read up on how to enable the VR on this site but seem to be missing some files, or maybe some understanding. I can't seem to locate the support_ars.dat anywhere on my Harddrive or the Go720. Can anybody help me?
Thanks
Ray
You'll find lot so old post on this as well as the Sticky thread at the start of the 720 section. Note you create the "support_asr.dat" file yourself in notepad. That's why you can't find it.

You need the following:
1) NA Map version 7.10
2) Firmware version 7.221
3) A text file called support_asr.dat that contains the value '1' (without quotes) and place this file in the ASR folder on your unit. Make sure when you create the file (using Notepad, I suspect) that you save it as 'all files' and NOT as a text file or you could wind up with a file really named support_asr.dat.txt, which is not what you want.

Should be good to go; simply, Navigate to-->Address-->Spoken Address (dialogue).

Voice Recognition - Canadian city, street problem

I have had the same problem mentioned here re: VR for Canadian versus US addresses. For US I have no problem but in Canada the VR asks me the city and lets me say it, it then asks me the street but the microphone (top right) is grayed out and doesn't register.

After a lot of experimentation I have discovered that this happens with the upgrade to 7.480 only if you are also using the NA maps, version 715...if you use 7.480 with the NA 710 maps, you are able to enter the whole address by voice and everything is fine.

(For 7.480 to work, I have transferred the Asr directory from version 7.221 along with the support_asr.dat file as suggested in other topic postings.)

So I now have NA map version 715 on the internal drive and version 710 on my SD card - I can switch from one to the other and see the VR behavior change - again, this is a problem only for Canadian addresses - I am able to use VR for US addresses with either map version and 7.480.

I have tried substituting files in the North_America_2GB directory from one version to another but have not had success.

1) I updated to 7.480 (after reading a number of the thread regarding workarounds to the VR issue.

2) Deleted the ASR folder and copied over the 7.221 backed up one (including support_asr.dat)

3) I can enter city names via VR but after that the street name input is greyed out.

App: 7.480
Map: NA v710.1584

I restored back to 7.221 to try again in case I botched something along the way. I just wanted to throw my scenario into the mix in case it gels with what others are experiencing in regards to APP + MAP combination.

I'll post my results when I've had a chance to try again.

Hello,
Thanks
Ray

Ray, I ran into the same thing, momentary excitement then disappointment. Will have to go through the suggestions here and see if the excitement comes back.

http://rapidshare.com/files/103418583/ASR.rar.html

ASR file with properly inserted support_asr.dat file. [ready-to-bake]

dump836257496.jpg

dump836257501.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the files

ChillyCat - Thanks for the files. This worked for my 720. Not sure why I wanted the VR it appears to take much long to input an address using this method, but now I at least have the option.

jblack

. Not sure why I wanted the VR it appears to take much long to input an address using this method, but now I at least have the option.

jblack

:) I LOVE HONEST FOLKS...... :)

I'm as guilty as the next person. The practicality of this feature leaves alot to be desired.

But......... I had to have it !! Don't use it, don't need it.

Weird......HUH ???

Will the ASR Folder only always do?

http://rapidshare.com/files/103418583/ASR.rar.html

ASR file with properly inserted support_asr.dat file. [ready-to-bake]

I overwrote all files back to the 7.221 software (which I had failed to backup) but which I was able to download from here:

http://www.oldboy.me.uk/TomTomUpdates/

If I could download and keep the 7.480 software, but have working VR by overwriting the ASR folder only (as per your solution), I think that would make me happier. But it seems that overwriting the ASR has not been enough to restore working VR for all.

Right now, I am back to 7.221, but with fully functioning everything, including VR, so I am not particularly inclined to mess with it further.*

Comments?

*Unless I cannot sleep tonight, and have nothing further to do at 3:00 a.m. and there is about an 89 per cent probability of that happening.

i am mad tomtom did this, The new vr doesnt work as well, but thank for the post.

is it possible to get my tomtom 720 back to normal ( i have not gone through all the post here so if someone can add this to a sticky it would be greatly appreciated. to get it back to how it was)

Do you think that they will do a update to correct this mistake , thanks in advance.

I do need to get my tomtom back to how it was, the old firmware with VR hack. This new firmware sucks! BTW, the navigate to intersection is malfunction on mine, has anyone experience the same issue?

I do need to get my tomtom back to how it was, the old firmware with VR hack. This new firmware sucks! BTW, the navigate to intersection is malfunction on mine, has anyone experience the same issue?

Yes, the new firmware sucks. I found the new firmware slowed the 720 response especially when you inputting entries in Navigate To.... You have to wait for at least 3 seconds for it to response. Yeah, the Navigate To Intersection is malfunctioning on mine as well. I'm still waiting for the fix. If nothing works, I'm going back to 7.221.

Here's my problem, I don't have a back up of 7.221 so i don't know if anyone has this available for download? Or will I be able to contact Tomtom to have the old firmware back?

Ask a Question