Keeping the TomTom in the Car all of the time

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL-S
I have been moving the TT from house to car each time I travel. With two cars I have been thinking about getting a second one and just leaving one in each car all of the time. How will they fair outside in the car all of the time with the weather extremes - down to 20 or so in the winter and up to 95 in the summer?

It's really not recommended. The constant heat/cold will slowly wear down your electronics inside of the unit. I know that a few times I leave my TomTom in the car when it's like 25 degrees outside, the screen has a serious ghosting issue. When ever you tap on anything and change screens, the old image slowly dissapears. Extreme heat, not good either.

I find it pretty annoying to have to take my tomtom with me everywhere I go, but ehh, you kinda get used to it. And if I had 2 cars, I would certainly get a second one as well. I feel like I have more of a chance dropping the unit, since I am constantly going in and out of the house with it.

Keep it in a case at all times when traveling. The OEM case has a nice hard shell which protects the device very well when dropped on concrete. I've already dropped my 720 the SECOND DAY OF OWNING IT on my concrete garage floor, WITHOUT the case. Good thing it only got a scratch. When it fell, the SD card FLEW out of the unit to the very end of my driveway, but still no damage :)

I have been moving the TT from house to car each time I travel. With two cars I have been thinking about getting a second one and just leaving one in each car all of the time. How will they fair outside in the car all of the time with the weather extremes - down to 20 or so in the winter and up to 95 in the summer?

The big issue about leaving the units in the car is that GPS's are the hotest things on the market for theives.

The big issue about leaving the units in the car is that GPS's are the hotest things on the market for theives.

I wouid, of course, hide it well and this is a factor any time that it is in the car.

My concern is primarily the weather.

Looks like I will just have to get into the habit of carrying it in and out - even though this annoys my wife.

That bad person who just stole your GPS with your home lcoation set also stole your garage door opener.

Set your home location a few blocks away, just in case.

That bad person who just stole your GPS with your home lcoation set also stole your garage door opener.

Set your home location a few blocks away, just in case.

Good plan. I set mine near the driveway where I enter our complex to the garage anyway, because otherwise the GPS expects me to park on the street at our street address every time.

Because of the winter weather here, I take my unit with me. I long for a powered mount so I wouldn't have to plug in the RDS antenna or power cable every time, but I guess that's for when the 940 gets released in NA.

I find it pretty annoying to have to take my tomtom with me everywhere I go, but ehh, you kinda get used to it. And if I had 2 cars, I would certainly get a second one as well. I feel like I have more of a chance dropping the unit, since I am constantly going in and out of the house with it.

This morning I got a good reminder about the importance of removing valuables from my car even at home -- one of my neighbors had a shiny new, bright yellow Corvett... but that muscle car isn't going anywhere without wheels. :eek:

This morning I got a good reminder about the importance of removing valuables from my car even at home -- one of my neighbors had a shiny new, bright yellow Corvett... but that muscle car isn't going anywhere without wheels. :eek:

Same **** (sorry) happened to my friend's Civic SI last week. Normally Civic SI's in the USA are stolen EVERY FRIGGIN day for their engine, but for some crazy reason they only stole his wheels, and left the car one donut and 3 cinder blocks. Damn thieves! :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question