Keeping Voice Recognition files before Updating to HOME 2.2.2.83

I was too excited to upgrade the firmware on my GO720 with the new navcore_7.480.9084.gox20.cab, that I later found I had lost Speech Recognition on the device :( . The speech icon on the upper right corner was grayed ever since. My support_ars.dat file was still in the ARS folder, but all the other files in that folder had been updated as well.

My quick fix to this problem is very simple. Find the file "navcore_7.221.8572.gox20.cab" which should be in "My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\program\TomTomApplicationforGO520GO720GO920", and extract the old files in ARS folder in that CAB file back to the device GO720's ARS folder. Keep the support_ars.dat there. Start the device again and Speech Recognition will be enabled again. :D

TomTom works hard to disable that function on our GO720. I highly recommend to backup before attempting to push that OK to update button.

I was too excited to upgrade the firmware on my GO720 with the new navcore_7.480.9084.gox20.cab, that I later found I had lost Speech Recognition on the device :( . The speech icon on the upper right corner was grayed ever since. My support_ars.dat file was still in the ARS folder, but all the other files in that folder had been updated as well.

My quick fix to this problem is very simple. Find the file "navcore_7.221.8572.gox20.cab" which should be in "My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\program\TomTomApplicationforGO520GO720GO920", and extract the old files in ARS folder in that CAB file back to the device GO720's ARS folder. Keep the support_ars.dat there. Start the device again and Speech Recognition will be enabled again. :D

TomTom works hard to disable that function on our GO720. I highly recommend to backup before attempting to push that OK to update button.
Did you mean the "ASR" folder or the ARS folder as you wrote above?

And what does this do for us exactly? Can we use the newest firmware and keep voice?

The newest firmware kills voice recognition. That's why I am sharing what I have done to enable that again. The voice recognition allows speech input of address to your GO 720, but it needs a file called support_asr.dat (a text file with the value "1" in it) under the ASR folder in order to have that feature enabled in North American version of GO 720. The newest firmware replaces all the files in ASR folder, so copying the previous version of those files in ASR folder will enable this feature again.

Great job katko! I did as instructed and Voice Recognition works again. Have not noticed any problems from the fix. Thanks much!

Well, here's my problem, i did not back up my tomtom before upgrade nor have the 7.221 file. Is there anyone could send me that old ASR folder?

Last edited:
This worked for m as well. I am very excited about it. I am new to my TT 720 and I had never tried the feature before the upgrade. Got mad with the firmware upgrade. But all is good now. I will try using it....looks like a cool feature.

Switching the ASR folder with my backup has partially woked for me. I can use VR for city input but even though the voice says "state street" the voice icon is greyed out. Any thoughts?

Voice icon

Switching the ASR folder with my backup has partially woked for me. I can use VR for city input but even though the voice says "state street" the voice icon is greyed out. Any thoughts?

Yes it's now grayed out in the top right hand corner, Hit the VR button you should see different color bars when you talk. If not try copying 7.21 ASR files from a back up copy and deleting the new ASR files and replacing them with the old 7.21 version files

OK I can use VR for USA addresses but for Canada I can only use VR for city recognition. After that the voice section is greyed out.
Anyone from Canada have the same problem?

hi mine has the same problem as yours except it works sometimes then other times i only get the city i reinstalled the old navcore 7.221 asr folder deleted the support dat file and everything works great playing with it right now really wierd but its working anybody else try this and see

Last edited:
city but no street

I have the same issue. Speaking the city name works but when it comes to speaking the street name, the VR icon is grayed out. Any ideas??:(

Would it be that VR works for some cities only? Some cities with numbered streets work, but if the street name is other than numbers, it might not work that well or even grayed out like a few of us here have found.

Dont have support_ars.dat

Hello,
When i purchased my go720 in dec07 it never had VR enabled. I never even saw the dialog boxes for VR until i upgrade my 720 to the new 7.48 firmware. I was momentarily excited to see the "spoken voice" dialog box but then VERY disappointed when i realized that it DID NOT work. THe little icon in upper right stayed gray no matter what i did.
I read up on how to enable the VR on this site but seem to be missing some files, or maybe some understanding. I can't seem to locate the support_ars.dat anywhere on my Harddrive or the Go720. Can anybody help me?
Thanks
Ray

Ask a Question